how do you guys store gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've already got the propane, that's your solution. Forget having to worry about other fuels. Either convert your current generator to LP or purchase a whole-house standby model and you'll be set.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Another approach is buying an efficient invertor generator like a Honda or Yahama that is smallest possible size to power equipment. These burn the least amount of fuel and very easy to swap out if something goes wrong.

Also they are very quiet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p...d_8YaAuGm8P8HAQ

Some folks go for whole house generators but it is an expensive luxury for something barely used.

Given that we have lost power for multiple days at a time during winter snow/ice/blizzards, it's hardly a luxury. It's protected our home and freezer/refridgerator from power loss. Not to mention we have the ability to carry on as usual without line power when needed.

Personally I wouldn't have one of those rinky-dink little generators to power a home. The idea of running extension cords everywhere trying to keep the freezer, refrigerator, furnace and lights working when it's snowing and icy out isn't my idea of fun.

I have run mine twice for 3 days straight and 2 days straight during ice storms. A simple outlet is on the side of home is hooked into panel by a legal by code backfeed with lockout plate between outlet circuit and main switch. The generator was $700 for 6800Watt nominal and $300 for electrician and it runs all of house except dryer and electric oven.

Spending close to $5k is spendy for whole house is luxury especially when the needs are for a O2 case of OP. Also they fail and getting someone out to fix standby in middle of storm is difficult as my neighbors found....I personally feel a generator IS a luxury. Did your parents have one, likely no nor my grandparents.

Realistically I would have spent about $350 for 3500Watt nominal just power fridge, well and boiler but wife wanted more. There is no ROI on a standby generator when selling your home either.

To the OP I store 25 gallons of fuel and simply turn it slowly in yard equipment. However I use fuel year round for tractor and then snowblower.

How many days are you prepping for?

A Northern Tool Powerhorse 3100w 120/240v generator will run 4-6 days on your existing fuel supply.

A Honda EU1000i will run 6-8 days on your existing fuel supply.

To get close to apples-to-apples comparison I'm using full load (900w) fuel consumption on the Honda and 1/2 load (1550w) consumption on the much more powerful Powerhorse.

I would think you should be able to be rescued or move your mother to another location within 4-8 days, but if you don't think so then look for a sale on 5-gallon gas cans and add a few more gallons to your stash, or learn how to empty the tank in your vehicle(s) and never go below 1/2 tank. Also figure out a way to alert rescue choppers that you have a medical patient that needs priority extraction (like a message on a tarp you can spread out on your roof).

My rural inlaws have a portable generator that runs off a tractor PTO and a transfer switch at the meter. If the neighbors power is also off, it gets moved around to provide temporary power for their critical needs too. Diesel fuel tanks in the back of their pickups keep the tractors running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back