Did I ruin my engine AND transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me start by saying I have been changing my own oil on everything I own for over a decade. Yesterday, during the first oil change on my brand new 2014 R6 I filled to the specified amount. I checked dipstick and was right at the max mark. Thought I would go for a quick ride, recheck level, and done. 200 feet out of the driveway, the oil light comes on. I pull over immediately and shut engine. Dipstick reads right on the Minimum mark. I top off, for a total of 3 quarts. No big deal I think. Right?

So I proceed to go for a quick ride. Come back after 5 miles or so and put my right foot down and find it covered with oil. Glad I didn't drop the bike. Realize I left the oil fill cap off. I recheck the level and it still reads at the Maximum mark so I didn't lose much. Seems it splattered out a few times, either during the few half-throttle pulls or hard shifts, don't know. The fill cap only CONTAINS the oil right, or is it crucial for pressure somewhere in the system? I wouldn't worry about it on a car but on a motorcycle the same oil is lubing my clutch and transmission too. I'm not so sure how this works on motorcycles. PLEASE help me put my mind at ease. I'm couldn't sleep thinking I ruined my bike before I put 600 miles on it.

Last edited:
Your bike will be fine. Make sure you clean the oil off the bike, especially the rear tire. A small amount of oil makes for a big mess when it leaks, and the wind spreads it around. Since the oil light came on immediately after you changed oil, I would not worry about it unless it occurs again.

Last edited:
I agree, you'll be fine and so will the bike.
smile.gif

ATMOF, it doesn't sound like you hurt anything except you lost a little oil!

No. Look at a diagram of your engine/trans and note where the oil pump pick-up is. Are you sure the bike actually has a wet sump. Many BMWs do not.

There could be lots of splashing and flinging but OTOH it'll run fine a quart low, that's why there's a "low" mark on the stick. In the old days of oil cans they'd expect you to get a quart low before adding more. If you picked some up at a gas station in timbuktu where would you save the rest of the half a can?

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
I think the BMW R6 was made in the 1930's. I suspect a 2014 model is a Yamaha.
Just using BMW as an example. I own a BMW R 65 made in the 80's. Gearbox has it's own case and lube.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There could be lots of splashing and flinging but OTOH it'll run fine a quart low, that's why there's a "low" mark on the stick. In the old days of oil cans they'd expect you to get a quart low before adding more. If you picked some up at a gas station in timbuktu where would you save the rest of the half a can?

If timbuktu still sold oil in cans (must be real old oil)...think I'd drive to the next timbuktu and hope they sold it in bottles. haha

Originally Posted By: Chris142
most bikes use roller bearings.they dont need much lube vs a plain bearing.you stopped as soon as it happened.motor on.

The bike in question uses plain bearings. Roller bearings are not used as much as they used to be across the board.

Thanks for the reassurance. Now im just [censored] it's going to be raining for the next three days. Winter is approaching fast in Maine...I need to make the most of the time left.

In 1982 Yamaha switched from a low oil pressure light to a low oil level light because few engines are lost to low pressure vs low level.

Smoky

Absolutely no worries on this. Hey man, a few yrs ago a family member of mine drove their car home on a dry sump after shearing off the oil filter (road hazard) and rapid loss of all motor oil. Drove it three miles on dry sump but "drove easy" because the oil warning light came on right after hitting it. There was no oil in the pan when they parked it. You think you freaked out, you should have seen me that day. That was at 67,000 miles. Car now has 110,000 on it, purrs like kitten, uses no oil, gets factory rated fuel economy. And that was from thinny thinnerson 5W20 being absent. You only went low on a much thicky thickerson grade (think: stays on metal and in bearings longer) for only a few seconds. Absolutely no worries.

Now go put some miles on before the weather turns !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back