What Ever... winter tires can be PRICELESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running 4 winter tires on my vehicles for 18 years. Will not drive on all-seasons ever in the winter. Just installed 4 winter tires on a guys AWD Subaru, that's lucky to be alive. I remember the newscast from last winter, This guy got caught on glare ice shaded from late day sun on a yellow light. Slide for along ways, until the semi driver with the green light (not checking for coast clear) pulled out. The guy broadsided the trailer, ducking at the last second. Airlifted 100mi and barely survived. You need all the luck you can get, and it can be cheaper in the long run with the right tires for the conditions. ALWAYS be careful.

But ... but .... the subaru commercial says I can drive in snow and ice with no snow tires!!!!

I have brand new all seasons but I still decided to run snows. We got some snow yesterday so it's time

So are you saying that winter tire on his AWD Subaru would have saved him on glare ice?

What kind of tires were on his Subaru? How deep was the thread on his tires?
Yes winter tires are better on snow and ice than all seasons but there are too many unknowns with this story.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
So are you saying that winter tire on his AWD Subaru would have saved him on glare ice?

What kind of tires were on his Subaru? How deep was the thread on his tires?
Yes winter tires are better on snow and ice than all seasons but there are too many unknowns with this story.

Winter tires, proper winter tires, can stop in as little as one half the distance of all season tires on ice. So, yep, traction makes the difference.

I don't know the person and I don't know the story... but... an idiot can outdrive anything. It's not impossible to slide through an intersection on snow tires, or all wheel drive, or whatever other invincibility device you've been sold.

Please slow down. Guy wouldn't have needed snow tires if he was driving 15 mph slower and realized the green light was stale.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I don't know the person and I don't know the story... but... an idiot can outdrive anything. It's not impossible to slide through an intersection on snow tires, or all wheel drive, or whatever other invincibility device you've been sold.

Please slow down. Guy wouldn't have needed snow tires if he was driving 15 mph slower and realized the green light was stale.
I call it overdriving, and I concur. When I'm in city traffic, the CD is off, and my foot is hovering over the brake. Traffic lights, stop signs, one ways are just advice. You must be in control at all times I got a tounge lashing from an old cop after I ran a yellow during a rain storm. To stop was impossible on bald bias plies in an old bug. I was only going 35 or so, but it was too fast for the conditions.

I think a lot of people forget that snow tires don't just offer extra grip to help get you moving, but extra grip when cornering and braking. AWD/4WD don't mean a thing if your tires can't get any grip.

Yeah I agree. We got just about a foot of snow today. Just got the studded winters on the car and my truck has mud and snow tires on. car did great in the snow today and the truck always does with front and rear lockers and 4x4.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
But ... but .... the subaru commercial says I can drive in snow and ice with no snow tires!!!!

I have brand new all seasons but I still decided to run snows. We got some snow yesterday so it's time

Agreed. Snow tires can cause overconfidence, just like AWD or anything else. And even if optimized for ice, I doubt they can take the place of studs or chains for when ice arrives.

never owned a set of winter tires in my life. until today. bought a set of hankook RWI PIKEs. plus AWD. should be good for winter!

I had a Subaru Crosstrek for a year and just traded it in on my Charger. I'll concur. No problem getting going but no difference than any other car I've had in stopping.

I'm def in the market for some snows for the Charger. I don't think 245/40 20's AS tires will get me too far in the white stuff.

I guess I better get moving on it and finding something as winter can't be too far away in NH

All you guys talking about snow tires has me feeling left out (kidding). If you ask anybody here in Phoenix anything about a snow tire, they'd probably look at you and ask "they make tires for snow?"

Lol

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
During snow storms, seems like majority of vehicles in the ditch are 4X4- They can get up and go, but don't stop or turn any better than a rwd car.

That's how it is around here, its either a 4x4 PU or an SUV off the road and wrapped around a tree. Some morons think 4WD means you can go fast under any and all conditions.

Where did you see a Subaru commercial that mentions
there is no need for snow tires on their vehicles?

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad

Where did you see a Subaru commercial that mentions
there is no need for snow tires on their vehicles?

They imply that all you need is a Subaru. Sheep believe this. The #1 vehicle off thE road in wrecks? Subaru.

I like their products but they falsely advertise them to the uninformed

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
When I lived in Virginia, snow tires made a world of difference in the snow.

Where at in VA? I don't know anyone in VA that runs snows.

The #1 vehicle off thE road in wrecks? Subaru.

Where did that statistic come from?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
When I lived in Virginia, snow tires made a world of difference in the snow.

Where at in VA? I don't know anyone in VA that runs snows.

The #1 vehicle off thE road in wrecks? Subaru.

Where did that statistic come from?

Drive up and down the highway in NY after a snowstorm. Subarus are first (not the boy racer STi models, either) followed by pretty much any generic AWD / 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back