Surplus PL-M oil becoming sticky and hard on metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have PL-M oil, which I bought for firearm use. It is surplus. I used it on a firearm and left it for 2 to 3 months. When I picked it up, I noticed all the controls were stiff. I took the firearm apart and noticed the oil became sticky and hard. In some places, it had become a sort of shell. Is that normal? This occurred at room temperature. It is pretty old (probably from the 80s) and I'm not sure if I should send it back. Below is a description:

From the "US Archive":

1.1.6 MIL-L-3150B(2): Lubricating OH, Preservative, Medium (Military Symbol
PL-M (NATO Code: 0-192)

General characteristics : Preservative lubricating oil consisting of a petroleum
fraction containing additives necessary to meet specification requirements.

Uses : Intended for lubrication and protection against corrosion of ferrous and
nonferrous metals, interior of gear assemblies, transmissions, differentials, etc. Not
intended for the protection of internal combustion engines.

Originally Posted By: george1122
I have PL-M oil, which I bought for firearm use. It is surplus. I used it on a firearm and left it for 2 to 3 months. When I picked it up, I noticed all the controls were stiff. I took the firearm apart and noticed the oil became sticky and hard. In some places, it had become a sort of shell. Is that normal? This occurred at room temperature. It is pretty old (probably from the 80s) and I'm not sure if I should send it back. Below is a description:

From the "US Archive":

1.1.6 MIL-L-3150B(2): Lubricating OH, Preservative, Medium (Military Symbol
PL-M (NATO Code: 0-192)

General characteristics : Preservative lubricating oil consisting of a petroleum
fraction containing additives necessary to meet specification requirements.

Uses : Intended for lubrication and protection against corrosion of ferrous and
nonferrous metals, interior of gear assemblies, transmissions, differentials, etc. Not
intended for the protection of internal combustion engines.

Preservative, medium, for transmissions and gear assemblies...sorry but those all point to me that not for use on firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back