Which Boots? Bates vs. Magnum vs. Rocky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning to all. Looking to get a duty boot that is less bulky and heavy as my current boot. Narrowed it down to these three. Which would you pick and why? Any personal experiences with these manufacturers?

Rocky AlphaForce Composite Toe Puncture Resistant Black Tactical Boot 6168 $130

Magnum Viper Pro 5 5482 $80

Bates Men's 5 Inch Tactical Sport Boot E02262 $105

The 2 pairs I have wasted money on have been garbage. They usually get bad reviews these days. But people buy them because they are cheap.

I'm wearing a pair of 5 inch compostite toe boots from Bates. They are comfortable, but I don't think they held up very well for the price I paid. I won't be buying them again.

Magnum quality has gone down considerably. They only lasted me 6-8 months in a corrections environment (walking 12 hours non stop a shift)

Last couple pairs have been Bates ultra lights and they last me about 12-14 months on average.

Fit is important! I've had a set of Bates for 18 months but I'm an office BitcX!!

I think the brands you've decided upon are not the highest in quality nor comfort.

Maybe take your search a notch higher?

I'd start at the local RedWing store - their Irish Setter and Worx lines are very affordable and good quality. But there are lots of boots made to better standards than the ones you mention. Comfort beats price for something as critical as footwear for me. Good luck.

Danner is just too heavy of a boot. In foot pursuits, they feel like your lugging around a stump on each foot unfortunately. Most boots I picked are at least 30% lighter than the lightest danner.

Okay. It seems the winter tears our boots up the most. I have heard some guys having a winter pair and summer pair and typically see 3 years on the summer pair and at most 2 on the winter pair.

I bet those Danners feel light as a feather compared to my steel toed Red Wings.
grin2.gif

My last pair was converse composite toe, I was very happy with them, paid around $100. Than I bought a pair of Carhartts, very disappointed with them, they are uncomfortable, paid around $150. I usually order mine from working persons.com.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Don't forget about Belleville.

I have a pair of Belleville Hot Weather Tactical Boots on right now. I have had them for 3 years and they have held up fine here in the desert. I wear them about 2 days a week.

Converse were the most comfortable that I have owned but I wore them out in 4 months of everyday wear and tear in mountainous environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back