Under engine cover on new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I changed the oil on my new 2014 ford fusion, I put it up on the ramps , slid under, and said "what the he**, I can't see the engine." Then realized there is a cover that has to come off, that covers the whole underside of the engine and is held on by I think 12 small screws. My question is, do I really need this cover, or the next time (probably spring) I change oil , can I just leave it off?? Is it there for wind noise abatement, gas mileage increase, or is it suppose to protect something? Although it is just a heavy fiberboard. I have been crawling around under car for 50+ years, and Never saw this before, of course my last new car was in 2005. It seems like an extra pain to me to have to r+r this cover all the time, even though I only do it 2 times a year.

I'd leave it on, protects stuff if you run over any road debris on the highway and reduces wind drag. My 04' TDI Beetle has one.

Reduces wind drag - seeing how you might do a lot of highway miles where you live, definitely leave it on.
Should be some way to access oil drain plug and oil filter without having to remove cover. My 2013 Sonata has a hole for the filter in the under body tray and a clip off/on cover for the oil pan plug.
Just checked a video - no under tray access hatches. wow.

Last edited:
I figured it was for wind, but sure wish there was an access hole to drain oil and get to the filter. Maybe I can figure a way to make a hole in the proper place(s) and then an easily removed cover for the holes.

Leave it. It has many purposes

That being said, fellow rust belter
When you go to put it back together, if its a metal screw or clip, PAINT IT in the silver anti sieze.

...you'll thank me 5 years down the line

My 2014 Explorer has a "pan" that must be removed to change the oil/oil filter. I had considered leaving it off until realized it was for additional cooling and after looking closely at it, there is a warning stating exactly that. I would leave it on.

My focus has it too. I did also strip out one of the plastic clips, just more careful from now on. It's for fuel economy and protection. It's not hard to take off or put back on again, so why would you want to leave it off?

Probably would have cost FORD 5 cents more per cover to have an access for the drain plug and oil filter. Geeze. Money is money.

I know on my friends Sonata there is a tray covering the bottom but there is a piece that pops out to access the drain plug. Pretty nice.

Least FORD could have done is used something that would not break so easy when taking it on and off. I think they do it on purpose to make people go to the dealer for service.

Jeff

Hello, It's unanimous Keep it on!

Bottom splash shields were included on diesel models of my car (Volvo V70).
I've given serious though of adding one since the 8 threaded holes are there waiting for something to do.

Hmmm.....Kira

^ totally agree, I guess I will be forced to make my own access covers next time I have it off next spring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Probably would have cost FORD 5 cents more per cover to have an access for the drain plug and oil filter. Geeze. Money is money.

I know on my friends Sonata there is a tray covering the bottom but there is a piece that pops out to access the drain plug. Pretty nice.

Least FORD could have done is used something that would not break so easy when taking it on and off. I think they do it on purpose to make people go to the dealer for service.

Jeff

Why do you put "Ford" in all capital letters?
confused.gif

You can believe that when a manufacturer makes hundreds of thousands of cars they are not frivolous about the pieces that make up the car. If you find something like the "cover" that Ford and others use that it's there for reason enough for them to expend the time and effort to design, manufacture and install the thing. Remember, the dealer has to mess with that cover just like anyone else. In other words, leave well enough alone and just deal with it but always put it back.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Why do you put "Ford" in all capital letters?
confused.gif

Really?? Who cares?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Just cut 2 holes for easy access the drain plug and filter. I did that to my 2006 Volvo V70.

This might work really well. Small hole for the drain plug, larger one for the filter. Maintain 90% or more of the protection/efficiency benefits while making your job easier.

Or you could use Amsoil and change once a year.
cheers3.gif

We used to have a Kia Sedona van. First oil change, I discovered the big black plastic shield underneath the motor. By the third change, I removed the cover and left it off. Never had a problem.

This thread reminds me of the little Geo Metro I had years ago that didn't have a cover on the timing belt. That was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back