Whiny Clutch in 06 corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a new (used) car. it makes a loud whiny sound when in gear particularly when coasting. sound goes away when i press clutch in. could this be a worn clutch or throwout bearing? Or could it be something else? or is this completely normal? Also seems very jerky when i let off/give throttle. idk if thats normal either since this is my first standard trans.

Sounds like a throw out bearing.

Sounds like someone had the habit of resting their foot on the clutch pedal.

Jerkiness is subjective, manual car tend to be a little more responsive than Autos. Let someone else drive it that is familiar with a manual trans.

the throwout bearing can still make noise when it is in gear with clutch pedal all the way out? Yea, i think the jerkiness is normal.just bad technique.

Originally Posted By: Quest
input shaft or sometimes throwout bearing.

Q.

Good point, and input shaft (main shaft) bearing will whine more in the lower gears and be silent in direct drive (4th gear)

Originally Posted By: old1
Any chance it is coming from the differential??

very unlikely, for FWD M/T gearbox in transverse mount engine typically has their diff located very low down the transmission housing, which means the diff will be completely submersed in gear oil, or fluid, or whatever you want it to be.

Q.

it really sounds like its coming from the clutch. i think i'm going to get a new clutch kit installed. dealer won't warranty it as nothing is broken.

now for clutch kits....luk or sachs?

either luk or sachs are fine.

for aftermarket: I'd typically go with Luk; for some Japanese ones, I'd go with Exedy/Daikin.

Q.

I need to replace the clutch in my ECHO, I first bought a Sachs kit but it said "Made in China" on the box. I don't know if that meant everything or just parts, but the included release bearing was in a plain white box with no markings. I wanted to buy the Aisin kit but it said it was not for my early production ECHO, so I ended up buying a Toyota OEM clutch disk and pressure plate, and a Koyo bearing. The price was about the same anyway.

I'd suggest you look for an Aisin kit if there is one for your car. For me there was no way I was putting a Chinese release bearing in that car considering the amount of work required to replace it.

Having said that however - About four or five years ago I had to take the transmission out to replace the output shaft bearings as it was making a similar sound as you describe. It went away when the clutch was depressed, but if you let up on the clutch at a stop (with it out of gear) you could hear the noise. A machinist friend had to make up a couple of special tools to take off the 5th gears, and when we looked at the bearings it didn't seem obvious they were bad. But upon repair and re-installation the sound was gone.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
it really sounds like its coming from the clutch. i think i'm going to get a new clutch kit installed. dealer won't warranty it as nothing is broken.

now for clutch kits....luk or sachs?

Depending on the production date, Rock Auto has an Aisin clutch kit for $119. If the date range applies to your vehicle this kit will consist of OEM parts.

i've brought it to the dealer and they said nothing wrong...i'm not connvinced. i'm going to try again this weekend.

If you do have a failing bearing (and you would have to make sure before you "repair" anything), I can promise that if you are the regular driver of the vehicle you will hear it way before anyone else does. My wife never noticed the noise in my ECHO, and my machinist friend who made the tools for me is a very capable amateur mechanic and he said he didn't hear much either. But I heard it, mainly because I spend a lot of time in the car and I know every little noise it makes or doesn't make. And once we replaced those bearings the noise was gone.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
i've brought it to the dealer and they said nothing wrong...i'm not connvinced. i'm going to try again this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back