ATF boiled out of the transfer case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nissan Navara (D22 utility), at 10,000km (10.5 years ago), I had Mobil 1 ATF put in the Tx Case.

Nissan reckoned Dex, or 80W were appropriate, I went front to back synthetic and chose the ATF option at the time.

Mechanic that I used was (allegedly) checking it at 10,000km services up until 60,000km, when I took over (warranty expired), and I found that the fill plug was too tight, and burred from a half inch drive being used rather than the right square drive....no biggie, nothing leaked, I wasn't worried.

When the right drive was obtained, the oil was low, low on the fill hole, finger didn't reach it.

Drained it, and instead of 2 and a bit litres, got around a half litre, of nearly purple, quite thick, but not smelling burned fluid.

anyone had the ATF boil out of their transfer case and not have evidence of it ?

I'm not sure what to say in this instance

I'm concerned, because I plan on using Maxlife ATF in a Nissan transfer case that specced the older glorified Dex3 spec that is Matic D.

Was looking at a few Tx Case threads, and thought to post what I observed.

It blew me away at the time, there was no evidence of leakage (nor of escape/condensation from the breather)...was just near empty, thick, and nearly purple.

I hate those tapered Nissan level plugs, idiots crank them up tight - it's a tapered thread, just snug is fine. Also another trap - it's too tight to undo, no leaks so it should be ok...no, you have to check them.

Seemed to happen to me when I had a '93 Jeep GC. I know I filled the transfer case properly but a few years later when changing it again less than half the fluid was remaining (and what was there was very dark). No leaks and the transfer case outsides where dry. Never could figure out where the oil went since I didn't think it just evaporated.

I've done transfer case drain/fill with 2010 Nissan in my sig. Calls for Matic S. I used MaxLife at IIRC 32k and 90k. The 32k drain was FF but 60k was MaxLife. It was clean with no visual evidence of shavings. That run was a-ok.

I have been running it in F150 as well. I had some shavings I could see in that run of 30k. Fluid didn't look dirty or burnt. That had me concerned so I plan on checking it out at 20k just to make sure.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Mechanic that I used was (allegedly) checking it at 10,000km services

Yeah, right!

BTW, I used to use old (early 2000s) Mobil 1 ATF and it was solid and didn't smell much, probably PAO based. The new Mobil 1 ATF I used (couple of years ago, the one that is "compatible" with all possible fluids) smelled like full of solvents and who knows what's in it. Maybe they decreased viscosity by cutting it with paint thinner?

This would make a nice oil baking experiment if anyone is interested.

Stupid question, but could the fluid leak back into the tranny?

Like in my old Chevy K1500 in my thread, the transfer case seal is leaky, which allows ATF from tranny into transfer case (the opposite of what you're seeing). So, every time I service my transfer case, instead of 2.3 quarts coming out, I get 4-5 quarts.

Is it possible for the transfer case to leak back into your transmission?

I have seen a bad vacuum switch in an s10 transfer case go bad and allow the engine to suck up enough atf to hydrolock.

Unless you saw the M1 ATF installed, are you sure it was ever changed?

Obviously, your mech never topped it off. Time to diy or get new tech.

10 years is a pretty long interval. Issue preventable by adding a time based change regardless of mileage.

Unloaded tcase temps are similar to transmission temps since they are bolted together...common heatsink. But, loaded temps are not related. When speeding or towing, my xfer case climbs to 280F when ATF was 220F. I'd wager that case cooling and sump size are inadequate as loaded temp varied greatly. Thermal runaway seemed too easy. I could only imagine how hot your underfilled oxidized fluid reached.

Unless on an MPG quest, go thicker, especially if an option. Nissan aren't too picky. If you have the option of gear oil, use it, or an MTF/MTL. And, always stick with synthetic.

Greasymechtech, in the absence of evidence of it coating the underside, your premise is the most logical...discoloration due to a smaller amount cooking.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Unloaded tcase temps are similar to transmission temps since they are bolted together...common heatsink. But, loaded temps are not related. When speeding or towing, my xfer case climbs to 280F when ATF was 220F. I'd wager that case cooling and sump size are inadequate as loaded temp varied greatly. Thermal runaway seemed too easy. I could only imagine how hot your underfilled oxidized fluid reached.

Unless on an MPG quest, go thicker, especially if an option. Nissan aren't too picky. If you have the option of gear oil, use it, or an MTF/MTL. And, always stick with synthetic.

Following on, had a 600 mile round trip for last Friday/Sunday for family stuff (intering my Dad's ahes), and decided to do a calculated "risk" ("risk" for want of a better word, experiment would be another).

Had some Havoline C3 synthetic 5W30 which I wanted to do some accelerated ageing on, had a Tx case, and 4 hours each way of 100-120km/hr running...figured
a) it's synthetic;
b) it's more viscous than ATF;
c) if I made sure that the case was REALY filled, it would be better than half flogged ATF.
d) it's in my M90 supercharge at the moment, the proper GM stuff being $100 for a change, I can do this quarterly forever if need be.

Reached our destination, dropped straigh off highway and into a parking bay...and using my relatively new IR gun.

The gearbox (holds 5L of 75W85 synthetic) gunned 106C.
Tx Case was only 86C...

Will see out this engine OCI on the 5W30, and put some proper gear oil in it at that time.

223F seems warm for the trans. Time for 75w90 GL4.

187F for the case... 2wd?

Anything towed or carried? outdoor temp?

Greaymechtech.
Was 30C (85F), run front hubs unlocked. GVM was around 2 tonnes for the trip.

75W90 GL4 is really uncommon down here

Had a mobilube XHP 75W90 (XHVI GRIII) in it for the majority of the life of the vehicle, and it was great. Shifted well into second, even at 20F or thereabouts. It's gone from even the dealer's shelves, and every 75W90 is GL-5.

Thus the 75W85 synthetic...Second was a little notchy for a few thousand km, and now very good.

Redline as an eg. is $150 for a gearbox fill. Not out of the realms of possibility, just pricey and hard to get.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

75W90 GL4 is really uncommon down here

I was initially surprised, but it took me a while to digest the GL4 vs GL5 difference, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back