toyota 86 oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys new to this forum
As I own a new toyota 86
That gets a fair amount of track time and atm has no oil cooler yet

I am wanting to find the best oil suited to the boxer motor and some hard track use

I am leaning towards
Royal purple api stuff to keep warranty
Or the valvoline syn power

Just wondering is there some UOA I cam see of these oils in this car
As I did a UOA on my factory oil and it was ok but I'm sure there is a better oil out

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Or suggest a very good oil
smile.gif

Thanks guys
Even if it's the royal purple xpr or hps stuff

Appreciate anyone's input

Will read those
Reccomends 0-20 synthetic
Api is probably best to avoid warranty issues bit open to all suggestions
Which is the best 0-20

Hi Greygts and welcome to BITOG.

The Toyota brand 0W-20 (TGMO) that is imported specifically for the 86 is of course a good choice and many would say is the "best" choice.
This oil does have a unique formulation. That said if you can find a less expensive 0W-20 you could consider using it but I would want to make sure it has at least the same anti wear additive levels as TGMO.
Royal Purple 0W-20 AFAIK is a good oil but is it any cheaper than TGMO?

And yes if you're going to be tracking the car I would install oil gauges. And yes an oil cooler has proven to be desirable to keep the oil temp's in check and avoid the ECU rolling back the power.

CATERHAM, given that the TGMO imported specifically for the 86 in Oz is the steel can, made in Japan, and presumably the one that sheared out of grade inside 400 miles in your testing, how "unique" are the (various) TGMO formulations ?

Hi Thanks caterham for the welcome
smile.gif

Yeah
That's some thing to think about

Since I live in Australia and its currently summer almkst
I'm thinking of using 0-30 I also track the car Alot and drive it hard and doing UOAs

I was thinking either
Penzoil ultra platnium
Or
Amsoil signature series

Are these oils very good?
Or is there something better

I'm all ears

Could you please type out what your owner's manual requires for oil? The details are important; what is required vs. what is allowed. The weight and API designation are relevant, and also how important it is to you personally to stay within the requirements set forth by your manual.

Personally, in Australia, I'd find a 10w-30 synthetic that's easy to acquire. If Amsoil and Pennzoil Ultra are both readily available, I'd use whichever is cheaper since you'll be wanting to change it frequently due to track time.

Api Sn/sl

Would like to stay within guide of manual however not overly fussed

0-20 or 5/30 apparently

Just seeing if anyone knows if Amsoil or penzoil are good or which is the better choice

In Germany 0w40 is spec for this engine, high engine temps, high rpm use are the norm.
It might be worth considering Mobil 1 0w40 also. Subaru engines have always liked xw40.

27.gif

I certainly wouldn't use anything less than a 30wt given track usage, and would use Mobil1 0W-40 myself as Trav suggested.

I'm a little interested in where you are getting Amsoil or PUP in Oz ???

The Helix Ultra 5W30 we get is ACEA C3, which is very different to the PuP in the US, which is ILSAC GF-5, the latter being "energy conserving", while the former is a higher viscosity product.

Originally Posted By: Greygts
Hi guys new to this forum
As I own a new toyota 86
That gets a fair amount of track time and atm has no oil cooler yet

I am wanting to find the best oil suited to the boxer motor and some hard track use

I am leaning towards
Royal purple api stuff to keep warranty
Or the valvoline syn power

Just wondering is there some UOA I cam see of these oils in this car
As I did a UOA on my factory oil and it was ok but I'm sure there is a better oil out

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Or suggest a very good oil
smile.gif

Thanks guys
Even if it's the royal purple xpr or hps stuff

Appreciate anyone's input

Congrats on your AE86.

For track use, use HTHS viscosity of at least 3.5 cP. This would be API xW-40 or thicker or ACEA A3/B4. Use fully synthetic oil (Group III or higher) as well.

Originally Posted By: Greygts
Api Sn/sl

Would like to stay within guide of manual however not overly fussed

0-20 or 5/30 apparently

Just seeing if anyone knows if Amsoil or penzoil are good or which is the better choice

You might find the following used oil analysis of the same car as yours informative. It's marketed in the States as a Scion FR-S:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3151637/1

This is a tracked car in Florida and as you can see the 0W-20 grade performed very well.

The UOA means very little. The guy with the grand national proved it.
He had perfect UOA on oil from an engine that had scattered its parts all over the track. Fact!

Originally Posted By: Trav
He had perfect UOA on oil from an engine that had scattered its parts all over the track. Fact!

Oh yes I remember that well. What several of us learned from his bad experience with UOA's is that if you want to know how well an oil performs don't rely on a $25 UOA. Engine tear downs are really the only 100% way to be sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

Right and what relevance does that modified turbocharged 700 hp engine have to do a stock 200 hp unit at the crank on a good day (before the safety management systems kick in)? Nothing.
More importantly the thread I sited is 7 pages long with a fair bit of useful info on this car when tracked.

This popular, modestly powered car has already been tracked a lot in North America and UK on the spec' 0W-20 and I haven't heard of a single engine issue. Toyota and Subaru NA know how this little sports car is going to be used and there is no requirement to use any oil other than the spec' 0W-20.

Just to point out that a UOA doesn't tell the whole story.
I would like to hear more abut these engine safe guards. How does it work exactly? Don't try and baffle me with B.S. you know i know better than to try that.
Obviously they don't work in the German market or they wouldn't spec 0w40 would they.

I'm sure the OP has no interest whatsoever as to what's spec'd in the German market.
But since you brought it up why don't you post the lubricant recommendations from the German drivers handbook. I'm sure the engines are the same. I suspect 0W-20 is specified along with the option of some heavier grades which is a common pattern in Europe.

When i am there i will, no problem at all. You don't trust Castrol to get their info correct or what?

Since you want German documentation? Hows this. LOL
For track use...
Quote:
Elf HTX 825 10W-60

So much for your TGMO in track cars. You sure you want to play this game with me? LOL

Toyota Motorsport .de

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I suspect 0W-20 is specified along with the option of some heavier grades which is a common pattern in Europe.

Oh i see, so you admit there might be a situation to use the higher viscosity oil.
If that was the case you just made my point. It obviously means the engine requires higher viscosity when operated at high speeds.

Just like the Subaru manuals did in the US. You are trying to promote a product for uses it was never intended for.
Telling a guy in Australia to track his car on TGMO is reckless at best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back