Pennzoil 5W30, 5600 miles 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are looking pretty good on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 with a little over 28,500 miles. The oil mix was 5 quarts of Pennzoil 5W30 and one quart of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. The oil filter was the OEM MOPAR cartridge and the air filter was Wix.

Blackstone comments: "We've got no complaints for the first sample on your Grand Cherokee. Universal averages for this type of engine are based on ~5,300 miles of oil use, and you've got lower-than-average wear metals even though you've gone slightly longer on this interval. That's a great sign that there are no mechanical issues or other problems with the engine. We didn't find any fuel, dirt, coolant, or other contanimants, so this is a perfect report as far as we're concerned. TBN is strong at 5.5, so the oil had plenty of active additive. Nice!"

Code:

Miles on Oil 5,687

Miles on Unit 28,825

Sample date 10/16/14

Make up oil added none

Aluminum 3

Chromium 0

Iron 12

Copper 17

Lead 0

Tin 0

Molybdenum 215

Nickel 2

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 37

Silicon 9

Sodium 4

Calcium 2894

Magnesium 13

Phosphorous 778

Zinc 962

Barium 0

Sus Viscosity @ 210F 55.5

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 8.91

Flashpoint in F 400

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % TR

TBN 5.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you could go 7500 miles. Tbn 5.5. I'm betting the copper is still from break-in.

Last edited:
wow I am so tired from overworking myself I thought you had 285000 miles. Then I read the next post and thought your break in comment was nuts. Nice uoa and I agree the copper is a no worry.

I would not stay up nights worrying about the copper but I would not ignore it either. Its higher than it should be. Should have been fully broken in by 20K miles, before you started this OCI.

I ran this sample to get a check before the 3/36 is up, but I have the Lifetime MaxCare, so generally speaking, any internal engine components are covered.

Also, I have seen some people saying they get higher copper when using a Fumoto valve, which I have on ... I put it on at about 20,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken, the pentastar shows a bit more copper than most. Nothing serious, yours is probably lower than the universal average on the Blackstone report.

The Ford 3.5 and GM 5.3 also run similar copper numbers. You are good.

Nice Jeep!

TBN is fantastic PYB is great stuff no doubt, not impressed with the viscosity although it will be no issue in your engine.

Nice report.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
I ran this sample to get a check before the 3/36 is up, but I have the Lifetime MaxCare, so generally speaking, any internal engine components are covered.

Also, I have seen some people saying they get higher copper when using a Fumoto valve, which I have on ... I put it on at about 20,000 miles.

First I have heard of that comment with respect to a Fumoto valve. Not sure I buy that however.

Nice report! Strong flash, a little shearing, strong TBN, and I bet you're hitting the universal averages for this engine.

I'm wondering if the copper is coming from the oil cooler and will start to go away, but sort of nice to see the comments that it is typical. Here is my latest report.
First oil was SN Semi-Synthetic, latest is with full PAO synthetic, almost 12000 km (7500 miles) in 9 months. It is a lot of 1 mile drives (4 times a day) to the office and a bunch of mountain dirt roads between houses.
2843lkg.jpg

Last edited:
are we sure this application has an oil cooler?????
Everytime someone see high copper--right away, it's the oil cooler----I believe there are more new vehicles without oil coolers than with one

Copper & No Lead = no issue IMO. With all these great oils, it's taking engines longer than ever to break in. I wouldn't consider any new engine fully broken in until it reaches the 50k mile mark nowadays. That PP add gave the TBN a steroid boost. Nice report - thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back