Bleeding Master Cylinder on car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to bleed 2008 Hyundai Accent master cylinder on car. Any tips would be appreciated.
Was bleeding brakes and let master run dry. I know, dumb move.
Pedal feels cheesy and travels farther than before.
Bled all 4 wheels already.

You don't happen to have a brake bleeding too my any chance? Something like what Pheonix systems makes? You could reverse bleed it and drive the air out of the master cylinder which should work otherwise I you'll need to keep bleeding and bleeding until the air makes it's way through the system

I have replaced a number of M/C's and I think the same process would work for you, but it does involve removing the lines at the M/C. Using a bench bleeding kit (plastic fittings and vinyl hoses) you bleed the M/C first, connect the brake lines, and then bleed the wheels. Always worked for me.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I have replaced a number of M/C's and I think the same process would work for you, but it does involve removing the lines at the M/C. Using a bench bleeding kit (plastic fittings and vinyl hoses) you bleed the M/C first, connect the brake lines, and then bleed the wheels. Always worked for me.

That's how I would do it.

It sounds like your problem is an air lock at the top, far end of things, far from the firewall. Bench bleeding is tipping this end down so the bubble will find its way out. You can also use chunks of old junk line if they have the right nuts for your MC. Just make sure they aren't flaking rust off. You could, plausibly, remove it from the booster, point the far end down (bending the lines a little) and gravity bleed it through your lines, helping by pushing on the thing the pushrod pushes on with your thumb.

If you find a ridiculously steep hill you can point your car down, it might send that bubble down the lines to your wheels, but I'd be nervous about being underneath there with the car not level.

I have the Motive Products Universal Power Bleeder kit, it pressurizes the master cyl. reservoir. Also have Hand Vacuum Pump & Brake Bleeder Kit by Equus Products.
Prefer to do on car if possible.

Last edited:
You best friend when bleeding a master cylinder: Cardone 10-5000MCB Master Cylinder Bleeder Tool

Remove lines from master cylinder, insert Cardone syringe thingie, push fluid in reverse of normal flow, watch air bubbles come out fluid reservoir, reattach lines and bleed brakes normally. Done!

P.S. Don't let it run dry.
wink.gif

A bit OT but why does the MC have to come off to bleed?

I ran my MC dry doing brake lines a couple of months ago. I bled through the calipers and everything works fine.

Did I get lucky or is my car a ticking time bomb? Should I be worried?

I've let MC on a motorcycle dry and always cured it by bleeding on calipers using vacuum bleeding.

Recently I changed the brake lines on motorcycle and of course I had to detach the lines from MC so it got some air. Again vacuum bleeding on calipers did the tick.

I know, motorcycles are simpler than cars, but I am just sharing this so that there will be some hope.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
I've let MC on a motorcycle dry and always cured it by bleeding on calipers using vacuum bleeding.

[...]

OK, correcting myself. I've let MC on a motorcycle dry and always cured it by bleeding on calipers using vacuum bleeding. I also got MC on a car dry when doing pressure bleeding. See this post for more details: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...eed#Post3546212

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back