Test run my generator(Pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test run my gen in the spring and fall(if I didn't need it for power) with two 1500 watt heaters for 20 minutes. Always starts on the first pull as I shut off the fuel when done running. I just finished this run this morning.

That reminds me, I have to fire mine up and put some load on it too before the winter storms are coming at us fast and furious.

That looks like a really nice unit, with the non-corroding plastic fuel tank and Subaru engine. I'd have a SERIOUS chain to wrap around that gem. During a power outage, generators tend to be "liberated" in the middle of the night around here.

What is the benefit to putting it under load? Is it not good enough to just start the generator to make sure it will start and run?

My whole house runs for 10 min. every sat. at 2pm. Maybe you should run it more often, just the engine with out load.

I test run my portable once a month for about 15-20 minutes under load.

I use a sump pump and a drop light.

The main reason for having it is for a sump pump on a rainy night if my customers need one.

When i bought it new, I ran it without load for several hours. Then I ran it with load, then changed the oil.

Last edited:
does the test run has to be under load? I run it for few minutes every month without load. once it needed to run for real, and it did OK.

one of the simplest preventive maintenance services you can do for your generator is running it with a load occasionally. Running it once a month will prevent gas from producing a gum on the carburetor. i add stabil to mine year round so i don't have to worry to much about gumming up and i usually run it 2-4 times a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
does the test run has to be under load? I run it for few minutes every month without load. once it needed to run for real, and it did OK.

You should run it under a load. It's one thing to start the engine, but if your gen lost it's residual magnetism then the generator doesn't produce power. I have seen this with a friends generator. The instruction booklet for your gen tells how to restore it. Basically jumping the brushes with a low voltage source.

^^^ This. Keeps the rotor magnetized, and warms up the stator windings to drive off any moisture that may have accumulated.

The manual for my generator says to exercise it at 1/2 load for 1/2 hour each month, although it's an inverter generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back