PAG Oil Cross Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this is the right section, but here goes lol. We have a gasoline powered 1" impact wrench at work that needs the oil changed in the change of direction gearbox. It calls for a "polyalkylene glycol-type synthetic oil for gears corresponding to the specification ISO: 6743/0 (1981) category C". It lists the following as examples:

Total Carter SY 220
Mobil Gargoyle 22
Shell Tivella WA
BP Energol SGR-XP 150
ESSO Compressor oil LG 50

The only source we could find sells it in 5 gallon buckets at over $200 each. We need about 4 ounces. I think this oil is a PAG refrigeration type oil. Will this cross reference over to anything that might be available at an auto parts store? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/930/pag-synthetic-oil

pag is an ideal choice for many lubricants but for the normal person is cost prohibitive. the category c is lubricant for gears. i would be wary of using PAG oil that is for auto AC systems, it might not have antiwear additives in it necessary for the meshing of the gear teeth. unless they are hypoid gears which would need EP additives like in a GL5 gear oil, i don't see why you couldn't use just about anything short of mineral oil. the examples you gave seem to be ISO 150 or 220 which is heavy like an sae 50 engine oil. but if the oil in your ratchet isn't getting hot over prolonged use i would use something like a 0w40 synthetic motor oil which is easy to obtain, in a single quart bottle. or maybe even ATF. the smart thing to do would be to open the case and see what type of gears, or look it up in the manual if possible.
and you posted a spec from 1981, if your ratchet is old then the spec written by the manuf. that's 30+ years old is based on oil tech/knowledge of the day which many might consider obsolete.

Last edited:
I worked with an industrial refrigeration system for light hydrocarbon recovery that specified Mobil Gargoyle (can't remember which grade now) for the positive displacement rotary screw compressor. It was due to the low operating temperatures in this system.

http://www.mobilindustrial.com/ind/english/files/ss_gargoyle_arctic_shc.pdf

I'm sure if you contact someone in ExxonMobil's Industrial Lubricants they can give you a hand.

I have no experience with any of the other brands listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back