Sea Foam vs Sta-Bil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard some people claim Sea-Foam is a better fuel stabilizer then Sta-Bil. Any truth to that? Which product keeps fuel fresh longest and has the most benefits for the engine and fuel system? I'm about to buy some fuel and store it for a year so I would like the best product for this. Many thanks for any input!

Well, I believe that, "fuel stabilization" is only one of the benefits of Sea-Foam, not it's primary function, as with a true "fuel stabilizer" such as Sta*Bil or other like brands.

To each his own and I'm sure that Sea-Foam has it's following though, it seems to be an all-in-one type product(if you read the can). It claims to do many things!

The 'best' would be a rust proof container climate controlled without any oxygen.

If you are only storing a small amount for emergencies, i would go the non-ethanol route and regular sta-bil.

Last would be regular e10 gas with the ethanol version of sta-bil.

Seafoam is kind of expensive for what is. Isn't it only a solvent and light oil? For ethanol concerns i would use a dedicated fuel stabilizer.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I have heard some people claim..........

Sadly, after all these years, all we have to go on are anecdotal claims about all of these products. Pri G used to have some very convincing "data". For some reason, they removed it.

This site if fun to explore: http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

I tend to "buy in" to their stance of not using fuel additives that contain alcohol (Sea Foam), but I have no proof.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Seafoam is kind of expensive for what is. Isn't it only a solvent and light oil? For ethanol concerns i would use a dedicated fuel stabilizer.

But then again, what's Sta-Bil? I've never seen any claims made as to what it is or what's in it. All they give us is the kind of nebulous claim that it 'stabilizes fuel'. Looking in the FAQ for 'What' or 'How does' doesn't turn up anything useful.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I have heard some people claim Sea-Foam is a better fuel stabilizer then Sta-Bil. Any truth to that? Which product keeps fuel fresh longest and has the most benefits for the engine and fuel system? I'm about to buy some fuel and store it for a year so I would like the best product for this. Many thanks for any input!

First, the best starting would be E0 gas. Then I am not sure why one would not use a product designed to be used as a stabilizer. For a few gallons blue StaBil. For something large like a boat gas tank, Startron.

Thanks everyone,
So what is E10 gas, EO, and where do you find ethanol free gas? I have never seen it.

I bought a few of the 5 gallon metal jerry cans for emergences. They are coated inside and out with a gasoline proof coating/paint. Not sure if ethanol will still rust or harm them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Many stations offer 0% Ethanol in the form of premium fuel.

Never noticed that. I'll have to look. Is this a better fuel for your car? Is normal gas rusting away my fuel system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back