Getting older ram around car...need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to spend a grand or less on a fun errand car that I can experiment with oil changes on haha. I need to know what compacts/small cars have the most bulletproof engines and best reliability overall. Thinking of civics, corollas, mazdas etc. totally doesn't matter though. What say you?

80's and 90's Hondas run forever it seems. Dont know what you may find in your area if rust is an issue. Some of those cars rusted easily.

Good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good.

Not to say you can't find a good car to be had for $1k but it probably will be on its last leg or close to.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good.

Not to say you can't find a good car to be had for $1k but it probably will be on its last leg or close to.

Exactly.

Fuel efficient cars for $1K will be in pretty horrible shape.

Your best bet is an older SUV. They are seen as gas guzzlers, but usually have pretty durable running gear and can take a licking. You can get running/driving Explorers and Blazers for around $900. Expect them to be in the 300K mile range at that price though.

One used car dealer I know here bought a '98 Explorer Sport this summer for $500 and sold it a few days later for $950. No mechanical problems, but 350K miles on it and the body/interior showed it. The owner of the car lot drove it home from the auction and had been driving it around during the week before he sold it.

the 80's hondas are great the toyotas are great pretty much until 2002 or so the gm's are your best bet they run great and are cheap to fix.

my friend just sold his in good condition 73 electra 4 door for $1000.00 dollars plus a new battery it is in good condition but the motor has low oil pressure it has been like that for years.
7 miles to the gallon when its tuned...lol
Not a lot of power if it was a 70 or 71 those had lots of power but in 73 they had no power

Last edited:
A Pontiac or Saturn.

Lots of $1000 cars with under100K on the odo...

Name brand does not exist, people are afraid parts will be hard to find.

Junkyards are full of parts...

1990-1994 Nissan Sentra -B13 Chassis are often overlooked. Their 1.6 twin cam isn't a power house but it's dependable and reliable. Parts are easy to find for them to.

There are surprisingly decent cars around here for the money. My wife always tells stories about her geo tracker and how it wouldn't die. Rust is an issue here so I'm mainly seeing year 2000 and newer

I got an 05 neon for $1000. It even piston slaps in the morning. Ship me cases of oil please, I'll PM my address.
crackmeup2.gif

The only cars I can think of that might still have some life left in them for under $1000 would be...
Older full-sized 3.8L V/6 GM cars like Buick Lesabre, Olds 88, or Pontiac Bonneville.
Older mid-sized 3.8L V/6 GM cars like Buick Regal, Buick Century, Olds Cutlass, or Pontiac Grand Prix.
Older full-sized V/8 Ford/Mercury cars (that were not former police cars) like Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis.
Note: Many of the above mentioned car models were owned by older people who took good care of them and kept them in the garage for much of their life.
Older Ford Explorers or V/6 Ford Rangers.
Forget trying to find a Toyota or Honda with any life left in it for under $1000 unless you are willing to spend another $1000 (or more) on it to make it minimally roadworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back