U.S. opens probe into Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I thought airbags were long ago sorted out. It's not nice to play with safety devices.

Most folks forget that the ONLY reason why airbags were being
phased in in the US anyhow (Europe wanted NOTHING to do with them for the most part) was because US drivers were NOT using their
safety belts, I recall that if the states were all able to pass mandatory safety belt usage by a certain date in the early 90s the
Fed Gov't was not going to make airbags mandatory.

Fact is that with proper seat belt usage you are about as likely to survive in a similar situation as with the airbag.

Frankly I wish they would eliminate the bags again entirely since all areas in the US and Canada have mandatory belt laws in effect and are enforcing them now.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Most folks forget that the ONLY reason why airbags were being
phased in in the US anyhow (Europe wanted NOTHING to do with them for the most part) was because US drivers were NOT using their
safety belts, I recall that if the states were all able to pass mandatory safety belt usage by a certain date in the early 90s the
Fed Gov't was not going to make airbags mandatory.

Fact is that with proper seat belt usage you are about as likely to survive in a similar situation as with the airbag.

Frankly I wish they would eliminate the bags again entirely since all areas in the US and Canada have mandatory belt laws in effect and are enforcing them now.

Forget?

I doubt all of this, for two reasons. One, the airbags phased in were all useless unless used in conjunction with seatbelts, and everyone already knew that. Second, crash testing and accident statistics all showed better survivability with air bags, in particular the most common accident/injury combination, head injuries in frontal collisions.

Having been first on the scene at an accident where a pre-airbag car hit concrete at a moderate speed, and the driver, who was wearing a lap+shoulder seatbelt, had her face all smashed up and bloody, I can tell you that seatbelts alone are not a sufficient solution. Trying to re-write history to justify disabling airbags is not a good solution, either.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I saw this on the news last night, but the story didn't seem to have a main theme to it. It started with the NHTSA eyeing Honda regarding the airbags, then moved into coverage about the DOT investigating the NHTSA for incompetency.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/legislation-aimed-at-reducing-defective-airbag-deaths-failing/

I wonder if that's because this gov't agency had its funding cut to the point of ineffectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back