DRAIN PLUG PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using the Drain Plug Pro #5911 by OTC Tools? I just ordered one from Amazon where they get a 5 star user rating.

I wonder if the magnet is stronger than the one on my drain plug. With a magnetic oil drain plug and a steel pan, I have to pull the plug away from the pan in one straight motion. If you don't clear the pan and the magnet sticks to the steel pan, the oil steam hits the now attached plug. Cursing ensues. Only happened the first time I drained after in stalling the plug, fool me twice shame on me.

It uses a neodymium magnet. I have one I got as a gift. I like it better than I ever would have thought. I give it a thumbs up.

I can see it being a problem with a magnetic drain plug. Fortunately I`m not using any on the car or motorcycle.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
It uses a neodymium magnet. I have one I got as a gift. I like it better than I ever would have thought. I give it a thumbs up.
Cool I have mine on order. This tool was new to me but since this is an oil forum I was wondering if others had heard of it and were using it.Sorry I wasn`t able to post a picture.

My Jeep has the Fumoto which I love. The Cummins diesel takes a 3/8" ratchet wrench or extension. Its kind of flat. Not sure it would work for that.

But I had dropped many drain plugs in hot oil. These days I use some type of a drain pan with a top screen or similar.

I`ve had Fumoto drain plugs on other cars and they work great. With this Drain Plug Pro I can use it on any vehicle . I have used latex gloves too and occasionally still had oil drip down my arm. Because I drain my oil with the car warmed up holding on to a hot drain plug is not always so easy. I have dropped a drain plug in my oil catch pan but lucky for me I pour that oil back into an empty bottle and my funnel won`t let the drain plug pass thru it.I have not received the Drain Plug Pro yet but I don`t forsee an oil change for another 5 months or so.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Think I'll just keep getting my hands dirty as I have for the last 56 years.

You have got me beat in the 56 years. But only by a few. Back then the metal cans of Quaker State oil were free (to me). They came out of the cases my Dad would buy.

Still have a few of those push on oil spouts for the metal, then later cardboard metal top & bottom cans.

Used to have a station in our small town that had a set-up to drain the cans, then sold the drippings to the kids with cars.

I've honestly never had that much trouble getting a drain plug off. Even on the rare occasion that I change the oil on a warm engine I don't see the value over just using my gloved fingers to remove the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've honestly never had that much trouble getting a drain plug off. Even on the rare occasion that I change the oil on a warm engine I don't see the value over just using my gloved fingers to remove the drain plug.
There purpose is not to remove a stuck drain plug but to remove an already loose drain plug and hold onto it so it doesn't fall in the drain pan, at the same time oil is not running down your arm and you are not trying to hold onto a fry pan hot plug. 34 reviewers on Amazon rated it 32 give it 5 stars the other 2 give it 4 stars. You don`t see ratings that good on most anything.

Originally Posted By: silvercivicsi
I use an old socket epoxied to a chopstick, works for me.
Might work for one size drain plug but the Drain Plug Pro works on all drain plugs . But I will admit that is creative thinking there silvercivic.

A guy from the garage journal reviewed it and gives it a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Creative concept, but sort of an overkill solution for not that much of a problem.

Kind of funny he has gloves on while doing the actual oil change demonstration. If I have nitrile gloves on, I really don't care about a little oil.

I usually just grip the plug with a rag or whatever is convenient and don't worry about it. It's not enough of an issue for me to order a $20 tool. If this was a $1 special at Harbor Freight, I'd buy it, then probably use it once or twice.

Having been an oil changer in a shop before, I actually think this tool would slow me down in that setting.

The worst part of most oil changes is actually the filter. A tool to cleanly remove the filter without burns on a Chevy Traverse or Suzuki SX4 would get my attention!

I used to use the metal screen from old windows and sliding glass doors. Cut a piece to size, wrap it over the top of the drain pan, and secure it with some giant rubber bands from the dollar store. It's free and kept the plug out of the pan. It was also dense enough to let the oil through easily but catch and particles that might have come out unnoticed otherwise.

VW 1.8 TSi plug is plastic if I am not mistaken. Where would we be without the petroleum industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back