OEM plugs replaced at 93k. '07 Camry 4cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jorton
Synthetic oil deposits resist burn-off. Run a mineral oil. Try to find one that's not blended with synthetic base stocks.
Be sure to use 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: maximus
The car has never had any off the shelf additives. Its driven 90 highway miles daily.

It sounds like the only solution is a rebuild. So much for Toyota's legendary "quality." "Rolls eyes"

Thanks for the replies.

If it runs good on fresh plugs I would just keep driving it and adding oil as needed keeping a close eye on it. I would be changing plugs at around 50 k or sooner. Hey it`s a 4 banger so a simple plug change.That car may run for a good long time just doing this.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Did I read that these plugs have 90000+ miles on them?
I'd expect plugs with that kind of usage to have deposits,in fact Id expect them to be worse.
That's alot of fuel.

My plugs at 90K and others I have changed (acura with 120K) have looked great (other than my gaps were horrible on the ranger). There shouldn't be any significant deposits regardless of the miles on a newer car.

I really don't think anything short of running 75w-140 gear oil will slow the consumption.

Maybe the car will be totalled in a collision soon?

Will change plugs again at 150k.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I really don't think anything short of running 75w-140 gear oil will slow the consumption.

I switch to TC3-W or Lawn Boy Ashless
thumbsup2.gif

yes. very unfortunate. one would expect 200k+ miles from a Toyota engine, not 93k. perhaps Toyota would be willing to help pay some of the cost?

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
yes. very unfortunate. one would expect 200k+ miles from a Toyota engine, not 93k. perhaps Toyota would be willing to help pay some of the cost?

What the ...? This is an insane post...suggesting that the engine is already dead...it's just using oil...more than you or anyone would LIKE....but it's just using oil. Wait until it breaks before writing its repair-obit...

If it is just valve guides a full rebuild isn't necessary.
Just get the head reconditioned.
Replace timing chain and cam seals while you're in there.

How do those spark plugs look if you cleaned them?

On the 2000 4 cylinder Camry I maintain, I replaced the spark plugs at 125K, and it really didn't seem to even need it. The old ones looked that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back