smile.gif

i m think the

castrol fst titanium 0w40
300v 5w40
mobil1 0w40
v1r valvoline

i think that i need hi hths !!

thanks for all the help

In my 2004 Turbo S2000, with 2.2L engine, I use Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. Provides the best UOA results, holds up to the turbo's heat and my reasonable oil change intervals (about 2500 miles)

However, it is true that for certain, older design turbochargers, VISOM oils do coke up, whereas PAO oils do not. This may not matter to you, if you have a non turbocharged engine. VISOM oils provide excellent protection under a very wide range of temps. It's also true that higher viscosity PAO oils will still flow at temps below -40C. I don't think many of us need a high viscosity oil at such extreme temps.

thanks for the answers but i m still in the midle.some say 300v some say castrol.which is better??i cant find the specs for the castrol..
cujet what redline do u have??
mine is 8600 and the piston speed is over 28m/s

thanks for the help

Originally Posted By: Cujet
In my 2004 Turbo S2000, with 2.2L engine, I use Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. Provides the best UOA results, holds up to the turbo's heat and my reasonable oil change intervals (about 2500 miles)

However, it is true that for certain, older design turbochargers, VISOM oils do coke up, whereas PAO oils do not. This may not matter to you, if you have a non turbocharged engine. VISOM oils provide excellent protection under a very wide range of temps. It's also true that higher viscosity PAO oils will still flow at temps below -40C. I don't think many of us need a high viscosity oil at such extreme temps.

So, what is the determining factor for VISOM incompatability with turbochargers?

Planning a change with M1 0W-40 in a couple of thousand miles.

Maybe I need to rethink that with Castrol instead.

i don't know many thinks about oil.
I want a oil to protect The bore and bearings. that's two thinks is what i m afraid. i want the oil to have strong protect film.
that's way I told
about castrol titanium. I read that it's -45% metal to metal contact.
😄

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

So, what is the determining factor for VISOM incompatability with turbochargers?

Planning a change with M1 0W-40 in a couple of thousand miles.

Maybe I need to rethink that with Castrol instead.

I wouldnt bother with the Castrol sold in the US, its not the same oil. He is in the Euro marketplace where the products have familiar names but may be totally different.
Anyone remember GC? It still exist but in updated formula's, approvals and different viscosities inc the well known in the US 0w30.

I am no Castrol or Mobil 1 hater, just the opposite. I use Castrol almost exclusively in Germany and have done for decades.
My Honda bikes that ran high rpm's 12,500 redline and cruise at 8,000 and never suffered an oil related issue in 12 years and 250K Km ran on Castrol RS 10w60 (now edge 10w60) from the first 1K OC.
I used the 10w60 because of the shared gearbox and clutch.

In the US i use Mobil 1 and Pennzoil, both are great but have their limitations when it comes to high heat and high revs over extended periods in non water cooled turbo engines.
These conditions will probably never be seen in the US on normal roads. For those that will there are the boutique oils like Redline which is great stuff.

49.gif

Thanks.

You're talking non-water cooled turbocharged engines here.

Great.

My 2013 BMW M6 is powered by a water cooled 4.4 liter twin turbo and its continued health is very important to me.

I'm lost.
Are you speaking of the Honda S2000?
Honda recommended no more than an API spec 10W-30 here and I see many of these wee beasties offered for sale with high miles still running well.
Any of the oils you've listed should be an improvement on what the factory recommended.
It may be an unusually high revving engine for a street car, but it's still a four cylinder Honda.
The engineers knew exactly what they were doing when they designed it.
If I had to pick an oil, I'd probably pick M1 0W-40, either here or there.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Older, non watercooled Garrett T3 style turbochargers, and their aftermarket variants are known to coke up the hot side. In my case, I have a T3/T4 hybrid/aftermarket turbo that is not exactly OEM quality or design. Using a VISOM oil in a high boost, high heat setup is going to result in fried oil coking the hot side seals. In such cases, PAO oils perform better for this issue.

Originally Posted By: rednikos

cujet what redline do u have??

I use an aftermarket ECU with the rev limit set at 8500 RPM. It's a stock 2.2L bottom end, with a 3mm head gasket and 19.5 pounds boost. 407HP at the wheels.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Thats making good HP for its size even with a turbo. Any turbo issues yet, is it liquid cooled? Any idea who made the HG?

The turbo kit is an Inline-Pro, Stage 1. It has a ball bearing GT3076R on precision housings. It's water cooled, but the design is typical "old school" turbo. They are not known to be long life units.

The head gasket was installed by the folks at Inline-Pro, prior to my purchase of the car. I'm really not sure what brand it is, other than to say it is what Inline-Pro carries. This is another thing that is prone to failure.

If I start having head gasket problems, It's my plan to install low compression pistons, stock head gasket, and better con rods. Probably sleeve the block too. As the stock composite bore is "picky" with piston type and not that tolerant of tuning/octane issues.

The 300V oil has become popular with many motorcyclists. People swear by it. I've been unable to find if it's a true PAO or group V oil. They claim it's an "ester" blend. With a viscosity index of 160, a pour point of -32F and viscosity of 13/82 at 100/40c, it seems to be EXACTLY the same as Mobil 1's MX4t 10W-40 specs, with the exception of Mobil having a lower pour point!

I'm not at all sure there are any significant differences. BTW, I've used MX4t in my turbo cars. And I continue to use it in my bikes, with excellent results. It's a very robust oil.

Okay. Yes i have lower compression pistons with Cometic gaskets, it is holding up well but also has an old school unit.
The German Castrol Edge i pointed him to is a PAO oil. In Germany it must be to be legally labeled as a full synthetic. Getting it stateside is just about impossible i suspect.

This may be the closest thing to it sold in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power-Racing-Synthetic-5W-40/dp/B00HRXNFDC

I know guys don't like these test and consider them irrelevant but for turbo owners its interesting. This is the euro 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back