Stupid Hyundai knock sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter drives a beat-up 2003 Hyundai Elantra. She came to me with a bunch of codes showing, and the one I saw that I figured I could fix was for the knock sensor. So she ordered one from Rock Auto, and I looked up some info on replacing it. According to everything I read, it's on "the front of the engine." Since this is a transverse engine, I wasn't sure if they meant the side of the engine next to the radiator, or the actual front of the engine where the accessory belts are. I found a picture that showed it close to the A/C compressor. However, no matter how many times I looked, it wasn't there.

I finally figured out that it's located on the side of the block next to the firewall. Under the intake manifold, so you can't get to it from the top. We rolled it up on the ramps, and I could see it there, but there are a couple of engine braces in the way. Fortunately, I was finally able to come up with a combination of socket extensions that allowed me to take the bolt out. Due to the configuration of the braces and whatnot, putting the new one on was a bit of a chore.

So they managed to take a job that could be five minutes, and turn it into an hour. There's an oil leak somewhere on the engine too, so when I was done, I was a grimy mess. Fortunately the car runs better.

Cars are not designed with maintainance in mind. Even oil changes can be a real pita on some cars. I guess part of the reason is to get people to take cars into dealer, rather than work on them at home.

If they made the part easily accessible, everybody could fix it instead of taking it to the $100/hr dealership. Do you think corporate would allow that?

Its never easy, is it? The think you need to do is always in the most inopportune spot, and something always goes wrong.

I know thats the rule I have to live by when doing repairs...

Well on the 2.7 in my Sebring to change the knock sensor the instructions read as follows-
(1) Remove intake manifold plenum refer to the
Engine section.
(2) 2.7L Remove the passenger side cylinder head,
refer to the Engine section.
(3) Disconnect electrical connector from knock sensor
(Fig. 12) or (Fig. 13).
(4) Use a crows foot socket to remove the knock
sensor.

Originally Posted By: 74DartSport
Well on the 2.7 in my Sebring to change the knock sensor the instructions read as follows-
Engine section.
(Fig. 12) or (Fig. 13).
sensor.

Well that's easy! Only 4 steps LOL

Originally Posted By: 74DartSport
Engine section.
(Fig. 12) or (Fig. 13).
sensor.

Which is why no one wants to own that abortion, the battery is buried as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back