BG synthetic HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried using the search engine with no luck. Perhaps BG isn't a long enough character string?

Anyhow, my diesel mechanic is recommending BG full synthetic motor oil with extended drain intervals.

Any reports out there on this product?

Hi,
Enigma - There are excellent reports on BITOG about the synthetic HDEOs Branded as Delvac, Delo, Rotella. These are well tried and well proven products produced for a very demanding diesel engine/mixed engine market place

They are "commercial" products that you can have the ultimate confidence in

I don't know how BG's products are quality wise, but...

They come down on top of the shop owners like a metric tonne of bricks with low prices combined with possibly unethical high pressure sales techniques to force their products upon you, the end customer.

One product they sell which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole is a bulk "base" transmission fluid that the mechanics get to play chemist with and add various additives to "make" Dexron VI; Mercon V,LV,SP; Toyota T-IV; Mazda MV; ATF+4; et cetera, et cetera ad nauseum.

In my opinion, if that is the amount of respect for their customers that they show in the transmission fluid market, I don't want anything to do with any of their other products either.

I have used BG throttle body cleaner and penetrating oil, and they both work extremely well. I wouldn't worry at all if I was using the right BG oil for my car.

That in mind, they do sell oil additives, something that isn't recommended.

BG products are generally very good, but the other poster is incorrect in saying that they are cheap. They are not. As far as the trans fluid, I don't even know what he is talking about. I've only seen their standard ATF, their Synthetic ATF, and their CVT fluid. They are high quality fluids. Their gear oils, power steering fluids, brake fluids, and other fluids are generally very good.

I have worked at different car dealers in the past where we have used their products, and they all seem to be of high quality.

I can't speak for their Engine Oils. They may not be THE best on the market, but highly doubt that they are of low quality.

I've been using their Syncho Shift II fluid personally for a long time with great results, as well as their synthetic gear oils and power steering fluids.

Good stuff at a premium price.

I presume this is what they are recommending?
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-shear-power-hd/#bg-product-7

Not really any decent data on this that I can find.
Their claim: Shear Power® HD far exceeds all industry standards.
The reality: not one shred of data to back it up on their sight. No testing protocols, not accreditation, no third-party testing, nothing ...
Nothing here: https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsSearch

I found this amusing; a direct quote:
Why can’t I buy BG products at a retail outlet?
BG products are professional-use only and require the knowledge of specially trained technicians to perform services.

Apparently I'm simply too stupid to open a bottle of product and introduce it into the crankcase ...
21.gif

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it sounds like a pricey lube that will line their pockets far better than it will ever make a difference in your engine. It is my opinion that they are a marketing program; they offer many products and services, and push only their solution as the best, with no proof to back it up.

Granted, you've told us nothing about your intended use; OCI duration, severity, etc elude us at this point. But I feel comfortable in stating that generally normal products suffice just fine for the VAST majority of uses. An expensive, boutique syn is not needed, and rarely would have any hope of providing a decent ROI.

I don't see them listed as a "don't buy" on the PQIA site; I don't think the product is truly junk. But I seriously doubt they provide any more actual performance than any decent CJ-4 you can get at the local WallyWorld.

Also, you state that your mechanic is recommending extended OCIs. I'm a fan of that, but ONLY when the program is well managed. What are the specifics of the testing, lab, etc that he/she is suggesting? Extended OCIs are not something to play around with; you really need to understand the pros and cons.

Finally, this ...
I presume the Dmax is the engine you're with; from your sig line.
I can tell you from personal experience and (literally) hundreds of UOAs that engine could not care less what you put in the crankcase as long as it's a proper HDEO. Every bit of evidence shows that it does not need any special lube at all; no super syns, no additives, etc. Do not get sucked into the hype!

Last edited:
BG Wynns VPS ...are marketed for professional shops.

For OLM or factory recommended intervals, use it.
Beyond that will need UOA data and bypass filtration.

With winter coming, you can get Delo or Rotella full synth in 5w40 at wallyword.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
saying that they are cheap.

In saying that they are cheap I refer to their actual cost per quart to the dealer or shop. BG offers what is probably the highest profit margin available in lubricants and most likely threatens to punish any reseller that attempts to sell their products at a decent price to the consumer.

Look around and see if any fleets use BG. I doubt you'll find many. BG is a niche product expressly marketed to exploit weaknesses that can be found in the ethics of dealers and independent shops.

As a shop just try and purchase the proven brands in quantity; Shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc. You will quickly find out that even if you are moving a thousand quarts a month you will be still be paying roughly the same price you would pay for one lonely quart at Walmart.

Not so with BG, the price the reseller pays is cheap and the reseller is encouraged to/forced to mark it up and sell it as a premium product.

See if he'll let you send in a sample for a virgin oil analysis, then you can see for yourself if it's worth it. Personally I wouldn't put anything no-name into anything I own, or service.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
saying that they are cheap.

In saying that they are cheap I refer to their actual cost per quart to the dealer or shop. BG offers what is probably the highest profit margin available in lubricants and most likely threatens to punish any reseller that attempts to sell their products at a decent price to the consumer.

Look around and see if any fleets use BG. I doubt you'll find many. BG is a niche product expressly marketed to exploit weaknesses that can be found in the ethics of dealers and independent shops.

As a shop just try and purchase the proven brands in quantity; Shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc. You will quickly find out that even if you are moving a thousand quarts a month you will be still be paying roughly the same price you would pay for one lonely quart at Walmart.

Not so with BG, the price the reseller pays is cheap and the reseller is encouraged to/forced to mark it up and sell it as a premium product.

What you say is untrue.
I used to work at a dealer that offered regular service or the premium BG products.
The BG was not cheap, our cost was significantly more than a Mobil or Shell product. Our profit margin was not huge, we made a little more than the standard product but not much.
What you say about the transmission fluid and adding different additives to make it work on different applications is totally untrue!
If you don't like the product, that is fine, but don't speak of which you do not know, and spread misinformation.

BG makes a good product, but they are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back