CEL on my Dodge Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
By mistake I left the truck in the ON position (engine not running) for about 1 day. I half noticed it the next day, started the truck, and saw what I thought was "check gauges" and assumed that would go out when the voltage stabilized on 14V. Then I noticed it was CEL. Temp, oil and voltage all fine. A 1999 has no pollution stuff. Engine seems to run OK. Have not read the code yet.

There might not be a code.

My 2000 Cherokee had the battery drawn down quite a ways and the check engine light came on. No codes.

Chalk it up to a Chrysler-ism.

Is the truck heavy enough that it is exempt from emissions testing?

Originally Posted By: Miller88

My 2000 Cherokee had the battery drawn down quite a ways and the check engine light came on. No codes.

Cummins diesel. No emissions.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Cummins diesel. No emissions.

Right - but, my Cherokee being a station wagon, will fail its emissions inspection if the check engine light is on for something like a battery temperature sensor. Would a stored code cause the truck to fail?

In NY they do not connect to the OBDII to read anything on an old diesel, but you will fail if the CEL is on.

At this point I would like to know what would be related to leaving the vehicle in the "ON or RUN" position for a day.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I would disconnect the neg on the battery for a little while.

Why. He's got a code reader. Why not clear it with that and see if it returns.

The other odd thing is the time is messed up on the radio clock (more than daylight savings) so I am thinking the battery wore down. But it has 2 batteries and the engine started.

Chrysler products, well Jeeps anyway can get a little crazy with a poor battery or run down.

I imagine it will resolve itself just from normal use.

I assume you are correct that it will fix itself.

But if by coincidence there was a real code and it was for low lift pump pressure, then I would not want to run it. Possible damage to the VP44.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back