Mobil 1 5W/20, 7963 Miles, 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea what additives have been used, it wouldn't surprise me to find out a family member has been using octane boost and lord only knows what else.

ranger49200.jpg

Silicon is 20 , a bit high. Perhaps you have a particle streak in the bearing and it will settle down. i'd check the air filter/housing and tubing to be sure there is not an entry for dirt.

Alternate theories?

With the low mileage obviously the truck is not often used, and when it is it is predominately short trips.

There is another family member other than the owner that sometimes uses the truck, It would not surprise me if that person used some sort of additive, but I don't know what it might be.

The air filter is a pure one, which was the best looking readily available filter when I serviced it last.

I don't know that I will continue to do UOAs on it, I basically just wanted to make sure the TBN was going to hold out for a 10,000/24mth run of the short trips.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
...Well then i do have to suspect an additive or aviation fuel or race fuel somehow got in there.

Race fuel or AV gas would surprise me unless it was somehow free... A bottle of something next to the gas pump or that fuel boost stuff I've never really paid attention to that Kroger will mix in at the pump would not...

Overall a mystery to me... guess I might have to send the next batch off just to see if it changes... "curiosity killed the cat" and all...

Hmm, their solution, shorter OCIs. Well, guess I could change the oil every 1000 miles and never have a bad UOA! I have had lead much worse for a very long time and engine outlived the rest of the vehicle, one of he reasons I gave up on UOA.

This is one of the reasons why I quit using Mobil 1 years ago. I always had high lead levels when using it. The lead levels dropped to normal when I started using a different brand.

Wayne

I've used a fair amount of M1 and lead isn't usually an issue... The first few changes on the Acura had some high lead numbers IIRC, but it settled down...

So far we have:

Additives
Partical Streak
Bearings
Oil

Put forth as theories, any more?

A Partial Oil Starvation at some engine parts due to sludge or gallery clogging leaving metal-to-metal contact (with small amount of ZDDP) ... If the bearings or camshaft aren't OEM or those the factory installed.

The engine has 49,200 miles on it, it has never been opened up, all stock. This truck has been in the family since new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back