Car Talk's Tom Magliozzi has left us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda of an east coast sense of style with those guys....but I liked them. Funny fellas and enjoyable to listen to on the radio.

Just saw this; quite heart breaking. These two guys accompanied me on many a Saturday morning trip. RIP Tom; you will be missed.

I listened to Car Talk on Saturday morning for the first time in many of moon. It was refreshing to hear. My condolences to his family and friends.

The brothers were MIT graduate engineers who like to tun wrenches.

They patterned their style on Tom McCahill, a Yale graduate, who wrote the automotive section for the long gone, Mechanics Illustrated magazine.

Last edited:
That's sad
frown.gif

How long have they been off the air? I listen to them almost every Saturday morning ... must be repeats.

Hopefully the sleek black beauty was waiting for him... Rest in peace. Thanks for all the laughs and advice.

they retired a year or more ago, but they had been mixing old calls into the mix for a few years.
i would download the podcast a few summers back, as i usually work when the show was on, and i started recognizing/remembering calls as ones i had heard 15-20 years prior when my mom and i would listen every sat while running errands..

Last edited:
dang, now i have to get a Dart for My next car... when Dodge First announced the new Dart, my plan was to buy one in black, and name it Tommy.( I always Name my cars...not sure why, but i do)

From one of the NPR.com articles about Tommy's passing:
"Doug Berman ended his message, "Please note that the Magliozzi family is asking that in lieu of flowers, friends and listeners make a donation to either the Alzheimer's Association or their favorite public radio stations in Tom's memory. It's just one more gift to us from a guy who gave so much to our network and its listeners over the decades."

and one of the Commenters made this suggestion:
"What a loss. We truly do need more Alzheimer's research--perhaps a challenge is in order, similar to the recent and very successful ALS challenge. Perhaps the "Rust Bucket" challenge, where cars are donated to charity in Tom's memory?"

Listening to Car Talk as a child in the late 80s and early 90s while driving to church is still a nice memory. I continue to download the podcasts to this day, although they're obviously old calls. I understand it's a big money maker for NPR though.

It feels a bit like I lost an old friend.

I didn't come up with this, but it made me smile.

"You can pay your respects at the Will Diggum & Barry M. Deep Funeral Home."

I think that would make Tom crack up.

Loved listening to Car Talk, and Tom's twisted sense of humor. He will be missed by all who ever heard and laughed with (and at) him.
smile.gif
RIP, Tom.

RIP Tom Magliozzi. I'm only a DIYer and backyard mechanic, but over many years I've both laughed a lot and learned a lot listening to Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers, on National Public Radio. And the popularity isn't limited to the baby boomer generation, because my grandson even listens to the show.

Don't know if the show's reruns will continue, but I know I'll miss Tom's laughter, humor and automotive tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back