how do you guys store gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live just a few miles from the San andreas fault. I'm trying to be ready for a earthquake and no power for some time.

I have 22 gallons of gas stored with stabil in it.I'd like to have more as 22 gallons won't last long. Especially with my momsneed for oxygen 24-7. I have a few gallons more in the quads so say 30 gallons total. I have been rotating it out every few months.

I'm wondering if a diesel generator may be a better choice.diesel stores longer and I can dilute it with other fluids and it would still run.

I have a propane generator and a 500 gallon tank in the backyard that also fuels my water heater, cooking stove, clothes dryer, furnace, and two monitor heaters that do not use electricity. I can go for an extended period of time without power.

Propane doesn't go bad, can't be stolen, and is delivered to a permanent tank on your property by a fuel company. If someone's health could be at risk, get a propane generator wired in and have 500 gallons on standby.

My inlaws live in a hurricane prone, isolated location (Caribbean Island). Everyone there knows that diesel is the only way to go for a variety of reasons.

Down there the option of LPG exists too, since the hills don't allow for municipal gas. However the efficiency losses and lack of the ruggedness compared to a diesel system makes it not used at all down there. Up here they compete on price and ease of implementation.

But good diesel gensets are $$$. I've seen some portable small diesels, but short of a military MEP generator, I'd not put much faith in the little cheapies. I've done some power quality studies on them and have not been impressed.

I have a mix of 5 and 2 gallon cans collected over the years. I take them all in at once to be filled and "overdose" them with a little more than the recommended Stabil dose and sometimes add recommended dose of Seafoam or MMO if it's around. Also use them up/ rotate by putting in the car if they're stored too long but that rarely happens. I also have a gas generator and didn't even think to look for a diesel generator figuring they'd be bigger, bulkier and out of my price range.

Right now I am using NATO metal Jerry cans(from Lexington container) and Eagle saftey cans. I fill them with summer blend 93, then treat them with PRI. Rotate the gas every two years.

Propane is the way to go here in the Midwest, and if Ibuy a genny, I would have a propane one.

Last edited:
I think one of those conversion kits would be the way to go. I think they will run on propane, or Natural gas. Also regular gas.

That will do away with the storage degradation.

Our whole-house generator is powered by propane. We have a 1,500 gallon underground tank that supplies the house, shop and generator.

I use a 30 gallon rolling gas can that I keep filled for the tractors and lawn equipment.

Another approach is buying an efficient invertor generator like a Honda or Yahama that is smallest possible size to power equipment. These burn the least amount of fuel and very easy to swap out if something goes wrong.

Also they are very quiet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p...d_8YaAuGm8P8HAQ

Some folks go for whole house generators but it is an expensive luxury for something barely used.

If your primary concern is to provide power for her concentrator have you considered a back up O2 tank(s)?

I like this idea. It's simple.
How long does (1) tank last for.
And if you had to evacuate, the tanks go with you.

Having extra O2 Tanks is just another tool in the tool box.

I wouldn't want to have to rely on the natural gas lines underground in the case of a disaster - seems like in an earth quake they would be the first to go.

I like the idea of propane and converting a gas generator to run on propane. Don't think I've seen a residential diesel generator for sale here in the states - probably because gas is so abundant.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Another approach is buying an efficient invertor generator like a Honda or Yahama that is smallest possible size to power equipment. These burn the least amount of fuel and very easy to swap out if something goes wrong.

Also they are very quiet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p...d_8YaAuGm8P8HAQ

Some folks go for whole house generators but it is an expensive luxury for something barely used.

Given that we have lost power for multiple days at a time during winter snow/ice/blizzards, it's hardly a luxury. It's protected our home and freezer/refridgerator from power loss. Not to mention we have the ability to carry on as usual without line power when needed.

Personally I wouldn't have one of those rinky-dink little generators to power a home. The idea of running extension cords everywhere trying to keep the freezer, refrigerator, furnace and lights working when it's snowing and icy out isn't my idea of fun.

My house came with a pre-wired transfer switch. But in nearly 10 years time I've "needed" a generator but once. Would have been three days though, and I know I lost a bunch of brain cells while huddled around a kerosine heater for those three day while trying to keep the house somewhat warm (was a very large ice storm). I find it hard to justify spending five digits to get a whole house generator. Yet a rinky-dink gas generator (my seemingly cheapest option) comes with the most work possible, as I'd have to start it periodically and figure out how to store lots of gas. [No option to heat with wood.]

Yet I was talking to friend who lives at most 10 miles from me. His neighbors apparently all have the whole house generators, most of them on propane. Other side of town, dirt road, last ones to get power. They are all up getting up there in age (according to him) so a hassle-free generator is the way to go.

A UST is by far the best way to store gasoline short to long term.

A few years ago, I put about 1000 gallons of 87E10 right off the truck into a 2000 gallon UST and left it there for about eighteen months. When I got around to using it, it burned just fine in the '04 Jaguar (requires premium), the Torrent, the G8, the Solstice (requires premium) and the S-10. I didn't try it in the Xj12.

I'm sure if I had sent a sample to a lab it would have showed some degradation, but the EFI systems on modern cars make it a non issue. I expect a generator would have burned it just fine as well.

edit: now that I think about it, I don't believe I drove the Solstice in that time period. So I probably didn't try it in that.

If you only need to store a few hundred gallons and can rotate it every nine months or so, the overhead farm style tanks are a good solution.

Modern motor fuels store really well. All the angst over short term storage is silly, imo and experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back