Amsoil 0W-40 Powersports BMW K1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
My K1600 calls for a 5W-40 JASO MA-2 oil. Its a dry-sump lubrication system and the 5.5 quarts of oil lube the engine, trans, clutch. We all know Amsoil does not make a 5W-40 motorcycle oil, so I'm considering their 0W-40 Powersports oil which Amsoil markets as an ATV, dirt bike, and snowmobile oil; they never recommend it for motorcycle use. Why is this? It appears to meet the specs BMW calls for.

I'm guessing it's slighly thinner due to potential winter starts.

I used it in my shadow fir an interval. Didn't last any longer than Rotella but cost twice as much.
If I was riding that bike in sub zero temps I'd use it again in a heartbeat.
I like Amsoil. I just can't justify the extra cost anymore. Not when I can find products that cost half as much and work just as well in my application.

How cold will you be starting the engine at. Let that be your guide.

would not think twice about using their 10-40 motorcycle oil. i use their 10-40 or 20-50 premium synthetics rated MA but not MA2 as their motorcycle oils. i hardly think the flow of a real group iv-v synthetic is an issue. like victory bmw would prefer you buy $$$$ their oila

BusyLittleShop uses 0W-30 year round in his RC45 without any problems, don't see why the Amsoil 0W-40 wouldn't work. Are you hooked on Amsoil only ? is the BMW under warranty ?

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 5W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 are popular for K1600 at the BMW forums. Call Amsoil and ask them about the Powersports oil.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
BusyLittleShop uses 0W-30 year round in his RC45 without any problems, don't see why the Amsoil 0W-40 wouldn't work. Are you hooked on Amsoil only ? is the BMW under warranty ?

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 5W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 are popular for K1600 at the BMW forums. Call Amsoil and ask them about the Powersports oil.

Castrol Power RS 4T is what I've used for the last 3 oil changes (apparently that's the exact product that BMW re-brands as genuine OEM BMW oil), but independent tests show its not a great performer.

Its on warranty till June '15, and I can buy Amsoil at a very reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back