FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my engine oil this weekend, and for the first time I decided to run an analysis on a new/clean sample for my own curiosity and a baseline comparison. I've been running GC since I got my car 34k mi ago. I thought you guys here might be interested in the results.

0W-30 German Castrol (New)

ADDITIVES
Calcium 1232 ppm
Magnesium 450 ppm
Phosphorus 738 ppm
Zinc 644 ppm

CONDITION
Soot 0
Oxidation 6
Nitration 6
Sulfation 12
Antiwear 16.8
TBN 8.2 mgKOH/g
Visc. 11.8 cSt@100

CLEANLINESS
ISO 22/21/16
4µ 36,197
6µ 10,824
14µ 452
21µ 24

USED: 0W-30 German Castrol (5686 mi)

ADDITIVES
Calcium 1589 ppm
Magnesium 451 ppm
Phosphorus 752 ppm
Zinc 887 ppm
(No wear metals/contamination observed.)

CONDITION
Soot 0
Oxidation 16
Nitration 14
Sulfation 24
Antiwear 16.2
TBN 4.2 mgKOH/g
Visc. 12.7 cSt@100

CLEANLINESS
ISO 21/19/14
4µ 18,654
6µ 4,786
14µ 257
21µ 27

The particle count seems quite high for a new oil. It even got "cleaner" after 5700 mi. I'm also a bit disappointed in how much the TBN dropped.

Originally Posted By: Scotthew

0W-30 German Castrol (New)

ADDITIVES
Calcium 1232 ppm
Magnesium 450 ppm
Phosphorus 738 ppm
Zinc 644 ppm

CONDITION
Soot 0
Oxidation 6
Nitration 6
Sulfation 12
Antiwear 16.8
TBN 8.2 mgKOH/g
Visc. 11.8 cSt@100

CLEANLINESS
ISO 22/21/16
4µ 36,197
6µ 10,824
14µ 452
21µ 24

Was it the latest "Made in Belgium" stuff?

Your VOA shows lower levels of Calcium, Phosphorus, and Zinc compared to this other VOA, but maybe it's because it's from a different lab?

Strangely, your UOA shows higher levels of Calcium and Zinc than your VOA. How can that be? Did you shake the bottle well before you poured the VOA sample?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Was it the latest "Made in Belgium" stuff?

Your VOA shows lower levels of Calcium, Phosphorus, and Zinc compared to this other VOA, but maybe it's because it's from a different lab?

Strangely, your UOA shows higher levels of Calcium and Zinc than your VOA. How can that be? Did you shake the bottle well before you poured the VOA sample?

No, this was the older German labeled import.

The VOA is from the bottle that just went into the car, so I can't truly compare it to the UOA that just came out. But the ICP data is a bit suspect regardless. I'm thinking the calibration was a bit off or the full sample wasn't quite making it to the torch. I'm going to try and retest.

Some language used advertise the yellow-labelled bottle is below.

SAE 0W-30: is for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SJ, SH, CD or CF is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1 and all requirements of ILSAC GF-2 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

So here's my dilemma, I am currently running mobil 1 0w-40 in my 2013 mk6 gti for the winter. My question is during the summer months is 0w-40 mobil heavy enough to protect the engine effectively? I was also looking at German castrol (black bottle) 0w-40 and pennzoil ultra 5w-40 (Ferrari oil) for a summer oil. So basically can I run mobil 1 year round safely or should I use PU or GC in the summer? I know mobil is great oil, with great uoa's but is pennzoil or gc better for the hotter months? I know nothing about PU so I figured I ask, btw going stage 1 unitronic soon

Originally Posted By: Paulyfe12
So here's my dilemma, I am currently running mobil 1 0w-40 in my 2013 mk6 gti for the winter. My question is during the summer months is 0w-40 mobil heavy enough to protect the engine effectively? I was also looking at German castrol (black bottle) 0w-40 and pennzoil ultra 5w-40 (Ferrari oil) for a summer oil. So basically can I run mobil 1 year round safely or should I use PU or GC in the summer? I know mobil is great oil, with great uoa's but is pennzoil or gc better for the hotter months? I know nothing about PU so I figured I ask, btw going stage 1 unitronic soon

I am running M1 all year around. Did UOA and it is stellar!
M1 will be good for any kind of upgrade of your engine.

Just out of curiosity though does someone have a evaluation of pennzoil ultra and pennzoil ultra platinum in 5w-40 and 0w-40? What group the oil is in 3, 3+, 4? How fast it shears if at all? How long the run life is and what the comparable oils are. Of course any voas and uoa's would be awesome.

Also what's the difference between PU ultra platinum and PU ultra euro? They seem like the same product just marketed differently. I know Ferrari recommends euro 5w-40 as well as it's recommended for all other euro cars but then 0w-40 says srt (dodge) on the bottle what gives?

Ultra/Platinum is GTL based. I would put it in group 3+ category, although that's an unofficial classification.

The oil previously known as Pennzoil Ultra Euro is now marketed as Pennzoil Platinum Euro. I haven't seen any VOAs/UOAs on it yet. Feel free to send one in for analysis, if you can even find it.

This is impressive from 0W-40 Castrol:
https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbmwservice.livejournal.com%2F27699.html&edit-text=

Last edited:
How is the cleaning ability of the new Belgian 0w-30 formulation? I have a new to me 2003 BMW 540i (80K miles) that has some typical varnish under the oil filler cap. I'm worried that an introduction to BC after this car has seen extended OCIs with BMW factory oil may breakup engine varnish and screw up hydraulic lifters and other small oil passages.

I'd prefer to use BC, if I can avoid any issues from it cleaning too much too quickly.

Suggestions?

Fellow Bitogers,

1. Does it seems like GC will be discontinued shortly?
2. It no longer meets A40 spec officially but do you feel (Porsche Drivers plz do also comment) it will still be okay t use in Porsche's?

So what does GC look like now? the FAQ hasn't been updated in years, I remember it was re branded once and looked like this,

GCfront.jpg

I started using M1 0-40, want to try GC again, Amazon has the 0-30 but expensive
http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-0W-3...s=Castrol+0w-30

61-Gf5wiX7L._SL1000_.jpg

And they also have a 0-40 which looks like the same thing Made in Germany for a lot less $$

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-4...s=Castrol+0w-30

Confused, probably just stick with M1, Castrol is turning into Pennzoil, re branding every 90 days.

Last edited:
The 0w-30 is now made in Belgium. The 0w-40 is made in Germany. Both now contain titanium. The best deal is the 5 quart jugs of 40w at WalMart for $21.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
The best deal is the 5 quart jugs of 40w at WalMart for $21.

I think that deal is now over, but even at the regular $25.xx a jug, that's still a good price.

The 0w-30 is now made in Belgium. The 0w-40 is made in Germany. Both now contain titanium. The best deal is the 5 quart jugs of 40w at WalMart for $21.

Thanks, look's like I will be trying the 0w-40, Castrol also has a 5w40 all 3 carrying the BMW LL-01, seems a little redundant, I get my M1 @ Walmart for $~25 so even if Castrol is the same price, no big deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: index1489

Thanks, look's like I will be trying the 0w-40, Castrol also has a 5w40 all 3 carrying the BMW LL-01, seems a little redundant, I get my M1 @ Walmart for $~25 so even if Castrol is the same price, no big deal.

Castrol 5W40 would not be my choice. There is a big difference between 0W40 and 5W40 castrol.

I won't be using it, I was just pointing out which Castrol Oils carry the BMW LL-01 approval, 0w-30 0w-40 and 5w-40

This is what my motor looks like after 120k miles of 0w-30 GC and 30k miles of M1 0w-40, ~10k intervals with OEM Mann filters.

Cx7tpvm.jpg

Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back