anyone else notice pennzoil platinum burns easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my mom's focus used pp it burned it as it does in my 14 focus although a different formula it does the same thing about half a quart now In roughly 3000 miles. Not really excessive but would love it to be less. Had anyone else noticed this with pp? Or maybe another synthetic? Maybe at the next oil change I'll try another syn.

Think thats bad...I'm going thru a 1/2 qt every 300-400 miles with PP. Never had a problem with it until this last oil change. Had Nextgen in it all summer.

Could be your driving style and if it's the first time your engine has seen PP, others on here have said they expect to burn some oil when switching or trying. I even expect to burn some on my wifes car and my car since this is the first time we're using 0W20/0W30 M1 in our cars.

No change in usage with PP here.

It might settle down with the next change if you stay the course with PP.

However, using another synthetic or MC semi-syn might be a better prescription for the Focus.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Think thats bad...I'm going thru a 1/2 qt every 300-400 miles with PP. Never had a problem with it until this last oil change. Had Nextgen in it all summer.

That's drastic.

Sounds like something other than the PP to me.

I'd go back to Valvoline and see if that fixes it.

No problems here. Been running PP 5w-20 in a 2004 Honda Odyssey for almost 5000 miles and haven't had to top off at all.

Next oil change my sister's 2005 scion TC is going to get PP 5w-30 as well, it seems like a good oil.

I put PP in my 2009 accord with 128K in hopes it will cut down on the consumption!

Read on a couple Honda forums that the I-4 engine likes it.

Time, miles, and my wife's driving habits will tell...KD

At the qualify level of all major brands of synthetic engine oil you can bet that if you have an oil consumption problem it is not the engine oil, it's something with the engine, smog control devices or the driver.

People here have their preferences and prejudices but in reality, once the oil is in the engine doing its job there's very little difference if any at all between these synthetic engine oils if you do the maintenance and keep the vehicle a long time and drive with at least some thoughts of driving in a reasonable manner.

I noticed PP 5w20 burn faster in my van last oil change, I put the blame more on the grade than oil type, I had only used 5w30 HM Castrol up until that point.

My supercharged Mercury Marauder had M1 for the first 45,000 miles (purchased new) and then switched to PP for the last 15,000 and it burns no oil. My wife's Marauder burns just under a quart in 5000 miles, but it has 190,000 miles and has used the same amount since we bought it at 87,000. All with PP.

Burning that much is ridiculous Id go back to what was working before. Burning none to that much seems very very odd.

I saw 1 quart low on my '01 Silverado for the first time ever this week, with 4800 miles on its first run of Platinum 5W-30. All oil changes except the first two used Mobil 1.

I'll be using Mobil 1 again next time, and that should help me sort out whether the consumption is due to the Platinum or 102,000 miles.

I am using 0W-20 Platinum in a Vibe with no oil consumption.

I had about a 1/2 a quart burn in out 2009 Pilot when I first switched over to it. Since then, I've only been using PP in the 0w or 5w-20 flavors. No burning switching between those weights.

Never noticed any oil burning when I used PP 5W-30. That being said, I have noticed that sometimes when you switch brands, it will consume some during the first interval and normalize after the second oil change.

Using PP "pure plus" for the first time in my Dodge Journey V6 at 60,000 km's and so far I have about 4,000 miles with it and has not consumed 1 drop of oil. Glad about that as I stocked up on quite a few jugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back