Using ramps for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume this is what everyone does for their cars assuming they don't have a car lift or a dungeon in the garage.
smile.gif

Anyways I hate using the things. They terrify me and I always have a fear of rolling over the edge. We have 2 sets of ramps and both are too steep for my moms Elantra. It can make it up okay, but bottom of the bumper has scuffs on it. They aren't noticeable while it is down, but I would like to find something that works better.

The one set we have is what my dad received as a wedding gift IIRC. He used them for his old SHO no problem. Apparently the Elantra sits lower than that..

Originally Posted By: JDW
I trust ramps much more than jack stands or a jack for one here.

I should have mentioned in the original post that I am used to 4 wheel drives. I too would trust a ramp better than a jack, but I have never had the need for them.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Anyways I hate using the things.

Precisely why I have a Kwiklift. I can park on it when it's down (it's where I park one of my tractors) and I can use it as a lift when I need it. For most vehicles I don't even need to actually raise the lift, just the extra few inches is more than enough to change oil and work under the front of the vehicle.

Ramps were one of the better investments I made when it comes to DIY oil changes, and some under the car repairs. They're much easier than a jack and stands IMO.

I made my own ramps by taking a 2" x 12", cutting it into 3.5', 2.5' and 1.5' lengths, nailing them together with a 45 degree angle at the drive up end. A thick peice of plywood that extends 2.5" higher at the back end creates a tire stop. $18 at the local lumber yard.

Last edited:
Are you looking for something better than ramps or just a better set of ramps that won't contact the front of the car?

Pablo bought a set of racing ramps that he says are great, and others after using them are buying their own....the price is a bit higher than people might like to pay. He claims you quickly forget about the price after using them.

On page 3 and 4 is where he comments on them after using them.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3237087/3

This is what he linked as the ramps he bought.
http://www.carid.com/race-ramps-automotive-tools/race-ramps-7589889.html

Also a quick search shows some better prices..

Autoanything 229.99 plus 15% discount code NVWELCOME (final price 195.49 W/Free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-56-2-56-Ramp/dp/B003ZAGI9E
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bti-rr-56-2
http://www.autoanything.com/garage-accessories/77A6851A3823054.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
I made my own ramps by taking a 2" x 12", cutting it into 3.5', 2.5' and 1.5' lengths, nailing them together with a 45 degree angle at the drive up end. A thick peice of plywood that extends 2.5" higher at the back end creates a tire stop. $18 at the local lumber yard.

Same thing here. They dry-dock ships on blocks of wood, so I figure a car is ok.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I assume this is what everyone does for their cars assuming they don't have a car lift or a dungeon in the garage.
smile.gif

Anyways I hate using the things. They terrify me and I always have a fear of rolling over the edge. We have 2 sets of ramps and both are too steep for my moms Elantra. It can make it up okay, but bottom of the bumper has scuffs on it. They aren't noticeable while it is down, but I would like to find something that works better.

The one set we have is what my dad received as a wedding gift IIRC. He used them for his old SHO no problem. Apparently the Elantra sits lower than that..

Couldn't agree more with your opinion of ramps. I threw away my old set of ramps years ago, and have never missed them. They are such a hassle. Sometimes the ramp angle is too great, and the ramp interferes with the car, so you can't even use a ramp. then the worry about getting just the right spacing, so you don't drive off the edge.

Honestly, until I came to this site, I thought I was the last person in the country to still own ramps, when I threw mine away. I don't know anyone who still uses ramps. It is beyond me why anyone would feel less secure with jack stands, unless they don't get them set up right.

I will admit that some of the new ramps, with the ramp portion removable, are quite innovative. But I can get my car up on jack stands so quick, I can't imagine going back to ramps. Plus, I don't like the space they take up in my garage.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

I've been tempted to do likewise. Regular ramps won't well in my dirt driveway. Always seems sketchy using jacks and stands without boards under them.

Originally Posted By: supton
[/quote]
Always seems sketchy using jacks and stands without boards under them.

Danger, Will Robinson.

my rhino ramps have been fine for 10 years.
they don't scrape with a hyundai accent.

I might make a pair of wood ones only because I need less height

I use wood. A scrap piece of two by is all I need to get the drain pan under a 528e. I used metal ramps until one folded side wise on me.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Have you a pair of Rhino Ramps? My MINI and Accord both have clearance. They're light, wide and I never have had fear under them.
Autozone
This. I have the same ones and have never had the slightest safety concern or fear of over-running them.

Ive had clearance issues with some vehicles with my 7 year old pair of black Rhino ramps, but I just put a board (about 1 foot long, 1" height) in front of them to give the car a bit more clearance before driving up onto the ramps. Most cars do fit onto it without the boards, but some do need it. I feel much more secure using my ramps instead of using a jack + stands, personally. I've never overshot them, and there have been times when I accidentally gave it too much gas and thought for sure that I was going over, but I never actually do.

When I use ramps (typically on the rear) I jack the rear end up and place them under the tires and then drop it on there. I have never been able to drive up on them. (I tried once and they kept on sliding)

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
When I use ramps (typically on the rear) I jack the rear end up and place them under the tires and then drop it on there. I have never been able to drive up on them. (I tried once and they kept on sliding)

Try putting a brick behind each one. I have to do that with the Firebird since it's RWD.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Ive had clearance issues with some vehicles with my 7 year old pair of black Rhino ramps, but I just put a board (about 1 foot long, 1" height) in front of them to give the car a bit more clearance before driving up onto the ramps. Most cars do fit onto it without the boards, but some do need it. I feel much more secure using my ramps instead of using a jack + stands, personally. I've never overshot them, and there have been times when I accidentally gave it too much gas and thought for sure that I was going over, but I never actually do.

I stand corrected, the boards I use are closer to 1/2" in height, not 1".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back