Wix vs Wix XP Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried doing a search, but I was unable to locate much information on the Wix XP line. My understanding is that the XP line utilizes synthetic media?

All of the vehicles I maintained get serviced with full-synthetic oil about every 7,500 miles or six months, so that is the usage profile that I am facing.

Can someone point me to information on the advantages of the Wix XP filters over the normal Wix line? I have no problems with passing along the cost to the owner if the advantages are significant.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Are the XP and Napa Platinum the same filters?

Yes.

I haven't gotten my hands on the wix xp filters yet, however, what I've got some of my customers doing is going with Mobil 1 & a wix filter. at 6000 miles, change the filter and top the oil off and at 12k, change both out. If they go with Redline, I recommend the same thing, except go to 18k an change both.
So they're simply changing out the filter, but keeping the oil in place with a top off.
Yes, the wix filter can easily go much further than 6k, but for people who are new to synthetics or still believe in the 3000 oil change, this is a good compromise I believe, as it also saves them money on the synthetic oil changes.
I believe a regular Wix will easily to 7500, but I don't think regular Mobil 1 will goto 15k in every car, but I'm comfortable recommending a 12k oci.

I doubt the Wix XP will offer to many advantages aside from more marketing verbage.

So how many um (microns) does it filter down to at what efficiency?

They ALL have metal canisters, either cellulose, cotton or synthetic media, and they'd better have decent gaskets. My Amsoil Ea29K is 98.7% efficient at 20 microns. How many guys at the local Autobone know what a micron is?

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

I don't care. I got it on my car and I feel good.
grin2.gif

It uses wire backed synthetic media.The efficiency rating is bad,but I imagine that's to allow for high mileage use without plugging/bypassing.

I am to the point where efficiency is overrated.. that doesn't mean I would go out and spend over $10 for a filter though.

With your 7500 mile OCI, the WIX/ Napa Gold will work just fine.

50% @ 20 microns ... bottom of the barrel on efficiency. May not matter to some, but others want better than that. Purolator synthetic or Fram Ultra both have a lot better efficiency ratings.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

50% @ 20 microns ... bottom of the barrel on efficiency. May not matter to some, but others want better than that. Purolator synthetic or Fram Ultra both have a lot better efficiency ratings.

Lol. The Napa Silver is probably better.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I tried doing a search, but I was unable to locate much information on the Wix XP line. My understanding is that the XP line utilizes synthetic media?

All of the vehicles I maintained get serviced with full-synthetic oil about every 7,500 miles or six months, so that is the usage profile that I am facing.

Can someone point me to information on the advantages of the Wix XP filters over the normal Wix line? I have no problems with passing along the cost to the owner if the advantages are significant.

Thanks.

A regular WIX or NAPA Gold should be able to do 7500 OCIs with no problem, and they are way more efficient than the XP/Platinum.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Did you make these videos yourself?? I like your choice of music. Must be some oil filter!
laugh.gif

50% @ 20 microns ... bottom of the barrel on efficiency.

That may be, but I got my 2 cents in before you did. You're late to the party!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: EricF
I haven't gotten my hands on the wix xp filters yet, however, what I've got some of my customers doing is going with Mobil 1 & a wix filter. at 6000 miles, change the filter and top the oil off and at 12k, change both out. If they go with Redline, I recommend the same thing, except go to 18k an change both.
So they're simply changing out the filter, but keeping the oil in place with a top off.
Yes, the wix filter can easily go much further than 6k, but for people who are new to synthetics or still believe in the 3000 oil change, this is a good compromise I believe, as it also saves them money on the synthetic oil changes.
I believe a regular Wix will easily to 7500, but I don't think regular Mobil 1 will goto 15k in every car, but I'm comfortable recommending a 12k oci.

I doubt the Wix XP will offer to many advantages aside from more marketing verbage.

IMO your logic is reversed from what it should be. Even our old 94 integra stated change FILTER every other oil change, so 15k on the filter and 7500 on the oil. I dont think youre doing anyone any favors, especially with the redline OCI, without a good UOA basis to justify it.

Id be less concerned about a filter going 15000 miles than some oil.

Both Wix filters meet or exceed the manufacturer's requirements for filter efficiency.

Many here have notions regarding the value of efficiency ratings below those thresholds.

The trade off here being media loading and bypass operation in extended OCI's.

The Wix filters offer premium construction and rock solid reliability.

Other filter manufacturers have been known to run scrap on occasion as documented here on BITOG.

Wix seems to have better QC than the other commercially produced filters and that should be worth a lot.

Between the two Wix products in a 15,000 mile filter change interval, I'd be using the XP.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Both Wix filters meet or exceed the manufacturer's requirements for filter efficiency.

Many here have notions regarding the value of efficiency ratings below those thresholds.

The trade off here being media loading and bypass operation in extended OCI's.

The Wix filters offer premium construction and rock solid reliability.

Other filter manufacturers have been known to run scrap on occasion as documented here on BITOG.

Wix seems to have better QC than the other commercially produced filters and that should be worth a lot.

Between the two Wix products in a 15,000 mile filter change interval, I'd be using the XP.

I'm not following your math here. The Wix XP has worse efficiency than most OEM filters. How are you saying they meet or exceed on efficiency when they are worse?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Thanks.

A regular WIX or NAPA Gold should be able to do 7500 OCIs with no problem, and they are way more efficient than the XP/Platinum.

Thanks - this was just what I needed to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back