Fumoto drain valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a Fumoto drain valve for my 2012 Elantra, got one with a stubby nipple and got the locking device. Any tips for use once I get it installed? I've been considering one of these for awhile and finally pulled the trigger.

Hello, I have two of those valves. One on a Honda and the other on an infiniti. They work very well.

The only issue I had was to position them in such a way that the clip was accessible. It took me two or three tries. I also wanted the clip not to hang down so that it wouldn't be impacted by road debris and would opened. On the other hand when the clip is facing up towards the engine, it is not always easy to move it to open the valve. However it makes the changes very easy. I hope you purchase the ones that had the little "neck" on which you can connect a rubber hose.

I have several of these too. I've switched over to the EZ-Drain versions for new purchases, I think they have a little better quality. But I'm not going to switch out the fumotos that I have. They do the job. I agree with Icecube about positioning.

Good call on the stubby nipple. I'm assuming your speaking of the one that the hose adapter can be snapped onto? If yes, is the hose adapter coming with it?

The most convenient setup with a Fumoto valve, is with the hose adapter, and a length of hose attached. When you change oil, connect the hose adapter to the valve, and put the hose into the same waste container that you plan on using to take the used oil to drop it off for recycle. By doing this, you eliminate the step of transferring the motor oil from the oil drain pan to the jug. Super convenient.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
I have several of these too. I've switched over to the EZ-Drain versions for new purchases, I think they have a little better quality. But I'm not going to switch out the fumotos that I have. They do the job. I agree with Icecube about positioning.

What in particular do you like about the EZ-Drain? I'm very curious because, judging from what I saw on their website, I was less than impressed.

The idea of nickel plating was a big turnoff. It seems all too possible that the nickel plating could eventually flake off, and get pumped through the engine. Also, I wasn't too excited about the o-ring seal, vs a gasket. It seems the o-ring would not be as forgiving as the gasket, when trying to position the valve handle where it is most convenient. Lastly, I'm not too keen on having to screw on the hose end, instead of simply snapping it on, like the nylon Fumoto hose end does. It seems likely that the female threads would get filled with debris, and make installation of the hose end difficult. One of the conveniences of the Fumoto valve is eliminating the risk of damaging threads. The EZ-drain loses that convenience. If the hose end is left on full time, then the length has been increased, and the risk of damage is increased.

But I've never seen an EZ-valve in person. I'm anxious to hear what you find better about them.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You won't even need the locking device, they are pretty rugged.

+1

I used my lock ring the first oil change interval, and then never put it back on since. I can't see any real scenario where the spring loaded valve handle would be lifted out of the detent, and then, while being held up with enough force to keep the spring from pushing it back into the detent, rotate the handle in the correct direction so as to open the valve.

But, mine was the old steel ring type. Perhaps if I had the new style, I'd be more prone to use it. It does look much easier to use.

Last edited:
I have one on my truck since the oil pan is covered with a skid plate and requires removing 8 bolts to get at. With the fumoto valve all I do is put a piece of plastic tubing on and run it into a tub where I let it drain for an hour or so.

Overall great piece of kit! I would have one on all my vehicles except the others are lowered and I'm worried about ground clearance.

I've been using the same Fumoto valve since 1994. I changed vehicles and luckily it uses the same drain plug size. No leaks and no messy oil drains.

I was using them and i thought i liked them until SteveSRT8 pointed out that they stick up past the threads in the pan and you don't get a good gush of oil like you do when you pull the normal plug.

I kept using them without thinking much about it until i pulled a pan that used one.
He was right, a lot of oil left on the bottom, the treads were a good bit over the nut inside the pan.
I still have it on the shelf, i didn't put it back in.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I was using them and i thought i liked them until SteveSRT8 pointed out that they stick up past the threads in the pan and you don't get a good gush of oil like you do when you pull the normal plug.

I kept using them without thinking much about it until i pulled a pan that used one.
He was right, a lot of oil left on the bottom, the treads were a good bit over the nut inside the pan.

That was the reason why I never bought one. IMO you get more dirty oil out removing the drain plug. On my vehicles it's easy enough for me just to remove the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That was the reason why I never bought one. IMO you get more dirty oil out removing the drain plug. On my vehicles it's easy enough for me just to remove the drain plug.

yep, we took them off of almost everything here. You do not get that fast flowing flush that you get when you pull the factory plug out and then there is a skin of oil left in the bottom of the pan. It accumulates in the pan until eventually it becomes a sludgy mess...

I put F108N on my XV Crosstrek some months ago. Got it cheap on eBay, open package. The way the drain plug threads go up into the pan on Subarus, there's no way you're getting every drop of oil out anyway.

Talk about an easy oil change on the XV. Top mounted spin-on filter and no ramps or jacks needed to get underneath.

I throw a vinyl cap over the Fumoto's hose barb when I'm done. You can find them in most bulk fastener sections. I get them from work.

Quote:

yep, we took them off of almost everything here. You do not get that fast flowing flush that you get when you pull the factory plug out and then there is a skin of oil left in the bottom of the pan. It accumulates in the pan until eventually it becomes a sludgy mess...

I cancelled my order, thanks for the insight. I would rather err on the mechanical safe side. My car is also lowered so I was having second thoughts anyway.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
Quote:

I cancelled my order, thanks for the insight. I would rather err on the mechanical safe side. My car is also lowered so I was having second thoughts anyway.

Good move IMO. They have quite a following though. This thread got me thinking about a used PU my brother bought years ago that had a Fumoto valve on it. He pulled it off after allowing the oil to drain for close to an hour because he suspected all the oil wasn't out. The oil that came out after the Fomoto valve was removed was enough to convince him he did the right thing. Opinions vary, and maybe the amount of oil left behind varies with the application. I passed.

I like the idea of these some, but don't have any vehicles that I'd feel safe having one of these valves hanging down off the pan. For a more complete drain, couldn't the additional length be cut off or at least a slot cut or hole drilled? Having a standpipe here is not a plus.

Well, I am not too worried about the few onces of oil that could be left in my car. What I do is once the old oil has drained, I put in an extra half litre of new, clean bulk oil I have around . It seems it drains well whatever could be left in the pan. Works well enough for me, and no mess!

Hello,
1) My pal who went to automotive school simply repeated what he learned years ago: THEY LEAK.
They may very well be better now-a-days.
2) The Fomoto website directed me to a nearby shop which sold them. It was a serious truck parts shop.
They had only the 2 most popular sizes for large rigs. The counterman told me NOT to buy one.
3) The Fomoto website itself mentioned that the valve was good for tapping off samples of oil for inter-OCI testing.
That makes it a fairly specific tool for a singular purpose.
4) The "leftover oil" is something I don't want. Attempting to rinse the dregs with new oil is wasteful. The effectiveness of that practice is questionable at best.

I'd pass. Pick me out a different toy Santa. Kira

I have been using them for over 2 million miles of combined usage in panthers, running car service. And a few SUVs. No problems. Great accessory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back