Syringes for lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share a nice trick I've started using. For more precise amounts and placements of your grease or oil try filling a syringe with it. You can use one with the threaded needle fitting to allow the use of different sized needles to either access small areas or control the rate of flow so that it works grease with anything from a thick grease to a thin oil. Right now I've used it well with an 18ga hypodermic and Triflow Synthetic Grease (which is pretty thick and tacky) to a 24ga with M1 20W50- though that doesn't flow very well, definitely for precision oiling only.

The only concern I have is hydrocarbon break down of the plunge seal as I have not been able to find any that specify what material is used there.

If you hang around racetracks a lot you will see syringes used for adding fluids. They have to be filled to exact amounts, not so much for proper level, but to put in as little as possible for weight reduction.

I've used 10cc Luer Lock syringes for greasing cup&cone bearing on bicycles for years. No needle, just the syringe body.

You can fit vinyl tube over the cone on the syringe where the needle mounts - a little bit of silicone to hold it in place and you can get grease or fluids exactly where you need them, or remove small amounts (up to 10cc at a time) if you need to.

Originally Posted By: buck91
The only concern I have is hydrocarbon break down of the plunge seal as I have not been able to find any that specify what material is used there.

I did some research into syringes in college and found most of the plunger tips were buna-n.

Luer lock syringes are also available in 60cc size-that's what I've used. I thought they may be neoprene sealed? Anyway, they do have their uses besides the medical world-

Originally Posted By: buck91

Ive been around BITOG for a couple days now, and dang we have fanatics here!

I think that breakdown would be a minor worry

Last edited:
Where I used to work we used syringes for the precision application of epoxies and sealants.

The catheter tip (tapered) fits small tubing well and at home I've used them for both topping off gearboxes and clearing blockages in windscreen washer systems.

Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon

You will quickly find out that a minor worry in the normal world is a stop teh presses huge issue here.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon

You will quickly find out that a minor worry in the normal world is a stop teh presses huge issue here.

LoL... Funny because its true!

Me to. You can buy a bag of plastic syringes from Woodcraft, Rockler or Lee Valley. WW'rs use them for glue. Also handy for grease, oil, etc as you've discovered. I simply trim the tips with a knife to determine how big a 'bead' I need.

Aaaaah the joys of working at a very large hospital.
grin.gif

I use the large 60cc veterinary type. I bought the last pair (they often come two to a package) at Rural King. But any store with veterinary supplies will have them. I've seen them at IFA and Cal Ranch. I would bet Tractor Supply would also carry them. They do work well for a number of automotive uses.

One of my favorite uses is to flush out sunroof drains. I've attached a short length of tubing, that is just the right diameter to fit onto the end of the syringe. I fill the syringe with a strong Simple Green solution, and pump that down each sunroof drain. The tubing on the end of the syringe fits in the drain like it was made for it. Then I follow up with a couple syringes full of hot water.

Hydrocarbons to attack the plunger. After each use, I take the plunger out of the syringe and clean it well with hand soap. It seems to help keep the plunger from swelling too much, too quickly.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I use the large 60cc veterinary type.

After each use, I take the plunger out of the syringe and clean it well with hand soap. It seems to help keep the plunger from swelling too much, too quickly.

Amazon carries them in larger quantities-the last time I purchased some I paid around $5 for a box of 10 for the 60cc size. At that price they're pretty much disposable.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I use the large 60cc veterinary type.

After each use, I take the plunger out of the syringe and clean it well with hand soap. It seems to help keep the plunger from swelling too much, too quickly.

Amazon carries them in larger quantities-the last time I purchased some I paid around $5 for a box of 10 for the 60cc size. At that price they're pretty much disposable.

Thanks for sharing this tip. I wasn't able to find them for the price/quantity you mention, but I did find them for a box of 40 for $30, shipping included. For that price, I think I'll order a box. Like you say, at that price, why bother cleaning and reusing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back