Ranger power steering fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0 with a 5 spd manual trans. This truck came from out west, and has no rust. The fluids, however, are in need of changing. The power steering calls for ATF, but looks and smells like power steering fluid(although very black and nasty). Using a suction gun, I can only get a small amount out of the reservoir. Can I do a fill and suction several times with ATF, or are the two types of fluid incompatible, requiring a full flush and refill?

Are you sure it's not ATF in it now? In my truck the PS fluid has always gotten darker than the trans fluid and had more of a smell to it, despite being the same fluid.

I would just turkey baster it out and refill with Mercon or Mercon V spec fluid, then repeat maybe once a week for a month or so. I think any compatibility problemns would have already cropped up, if it's even the wrong fluid in there.

My truck has never had a complete fluid change since new...just sporadic turkey baster changes with Mercon V. Never a PS problem.

I am doing a constant change on the Rat. The steering box weeps. I keep a bottle beside the battery for when I hear the pump whine.

I took a closer look, put a few drops on white paper, and think you may be right. I will just repeat until it looks nice and red again.. Thanks!

We had the same situation with a 1998 Ranger, 2.5L, 5spd we bought used years ago. PS was super noisy. I checked the PSF reservoir and the fluid in there was black. I did 3-4 suck-outs and refills with Dex/Merc ATF and it quieted right down. Never had another issue with the PS system on it.

Same thing with my 99 Taurus. Nasty black fluid and I suctioned and refilled it like a few times a week with Mercon V then after it cleared up I switched to Mobil 1 ATF and shortly thereafter began to leak badly at the steering rack. Man I wish I'd have left that cruddy fluid in there. Hope you have good luck I hear the Ford racks aren't the best and the problem is somewhat common.

Had to Have a remanufactured rack put in.

This era of Ford power steering pumps are very noisy, not very good. You'll likely need to replace it soon anyways.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
I just picked up a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0 with a 5 spd manual trans. This truck came from out west, and has no rust. The fluids, however, are in need of changing. The power steering calls for ATF, but looks and smells like power steering fluid(although very black and nasty). Using a suction gun, I can only get a small amount out of the reservoir. Can I do a fill and suction several times with ATF, or are the two types of fluid incompatible, requiring a full flush and refill?

Pulling the return line from the bottom of the reservoir should let you drain a lot more of it. A bit tricky, but worth a shot.

The best fluid to use in my experience is Mobil 1 ATF. Just do a few drain and fills with it (give it about a week in between) and it should quiet it right up.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
This era of Ford power steering pumps are very noisy, not very good. You'll likely need to replace it soon anyways.

They get noisy if neglected. Usually a few drain/fills with a quality ATF solves that problem. I've literally NEVER had a Ford PS pump fail on me. I've had several that have been noisy but that's about it. And I've always been able to quiet them with M1 ATF.

Turkey Baster and refill often till clean. Valvoline Maxlife PS fluid works. I have used the lucas ps fluid too, but in extreme cold it wouldn't be my first choice.

Huh? Noisy sure, if the fluid is old. Not very good? Not in my experience. In fact, quite the opposite.

I have never replaced a Ford PS pump. Nobody I know with a Ranger/Explorer has ever replaced a PS pump, and there have been quite a few in my family. The oldest is in a 1993 Explorer with over 250K miles on it that is driven daily.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Huh? Noisy sure, if the fluid is old. Not very good? Not in my experience. In fact, quite the opposite.

I have never replaced a Ford PS pump. Nobody I know with a Ranger/Explorer has ever replaced a PS pump, and there have been quite a few in my family. The oldest is in a 1993 Explorer with over 250K miles on it that is driven daily.

My power steering pump from my now deceased '87 Mustang GT is still on the engine (in my garage). It has 338,000Km on it.

My old '89 Town Car, racking up the miles under its new owner has gotta be coming up on 400,000Km on the original PS pump.

Both saw M1 ATF since I owned them. Both pumps were silent once the changeover was made.

I have a big syringe thing I got from Tap Plastics that I shoved a piece if clear tube on it. There is a spot in the opening that you can shove it towards the bottom of the reservoir and suck the fluid out from the bottom. I usually fill it to the top first and then start pulling fluid so I don't get air in there. I just use Chevron MD3. (Or Havoline- should be the same thing) Repeat several times.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Same thing with my 99 Taurus. Nasty black fluid and I suctioned and refilled it like a few times a week with Mercon V then after it cleared up I switched to Mobil 1 ATF and shortly thereafter began to leak badly at the steering rack. Man I wish I'd have left that cruddy fluid in there. Hope you have good luck I hear the Ford racks aren't the best and the problem is somewhat common.

Had to Have a remanufactured rack put in.

The mistake you made was using the Mobil 1, the fluid with more added friction modifiers was slippery enough to make it past the older seals. If you would have stuck with the Mercon V you likely wouldn't have had the problem.

I can't say it enough...newer spec fluid is NOT always better for older cars.

Just finished first go around with Maxlife ATF. Color of fluid is back to red, pump is now nice and quiet. I will probably do another one next week, as well as trans and transfer case.

I did the ps, just changed oil, and planning trans fluid change soon. I can see drain and fill holes for trans, but only plug labled ATF level, but no visible drain plug on the transfer case. Anyone know how to drain it?

The drain plug is behind the dampener on the t-case. Take the dampener off, and you can access the drain plug.

3.0 4x4s are oddballs...you got kind of a rare configuration. A little more common on Edge regular cabs, but even on those the 4.0 was most common. I have even seen Super Cab XLT 3.0s with 4WD though.

Here's my post from the "Post your latest Power Steering Fluid Change thread. It's about how I made a "flush adapter" to flush my Kia all in one go:
------
2005 Kia Optima. I made myself a 'flush adapter' out of Home Depot parts smile

The fluid in the reservoir was the amber color of motor oil, but I remember that it was nearly colorless when I last changed it. So I decided it needed changing ASAP.

Disconnected the return line, and found a brass PEX adapter at Home Depot that fit the return line on one side, and a reasonably-sized vinyl tube on the other.

Silicone'd the tube to the fitting, and stuck the other end in the return line. It fits tight enough not to need a clamp. Stuck the vinyl into an old milk jug.

Got the car up on jackstands. Pulled the fuel injector and ignition fuses. Turned the wheel back and forth while cranking to get a flow going. Once I got the fluid moving, all I had to do was turn the wheel back and forth and that pumped the fluid at a nice pace; I'm not sure if I even needed to crank it at all. I had the wife add fluid to the reservoir to keep it topped off.

Flushed through a quart and a half; it started running clean at 3/4ths of a quart but I wanted to make sure I had as much old out as possible.

All I could find was AuzoZone or Prestone brand fluid. Last time I used Castrol or Valvoline Synthetic (can't remember which) but nobody has much choice in PS fluid around here. Neither the AZ or Prestone mentioned any specs on the back and the markings on the bottles were identical (except that one bottle was black, the other yellow), so I went with the cheaper AutoZone fluid.

Next time I'll plan farther in advance and get some synthetic. With my home-made adapter it's an easy enough job to do so I might do it soon.
------

I forgot to mention in that post - I rubber-banded a plastic bag around the return fitting on the reservoir to prevent it from running out if my wife added fluid too fast. When you finish up, have the level below the return fitting. Put the hose back on and top off.

01ranger-I don't know a lot about rangers, but this came to me through my brother in law, who bought it from an older gent, I believe was the original owner. It has fender flares, and matching bed rail toppers, nice interior, but crank windows and manual seats. I don't mind that at all, it just seems the last few new vehicles I bought came with electric seats and windows as standard equipment. By the way, what does the damper on the t-case do? I have never seen one before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back