New Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, it is a beautiful example of old school meets new tech. My gut says it should be very durable.

Well see how the Wife does with it...

My better half would rather drive the Nissan (Fronteir in US, with diesel and 5 speed) than the Caprice any day.

When on holidays, she was eyeing off the Dakotas...probably because my head nearly spins off when we come across a Ram in Oz.

edit...she likes your truck too !!!

Last edited:
Thanks again, fellas.

A couple of interesting touches: the truck has a conventional plastic fan with a thermostatic clutch that is engine driven, a bit of a surprise for me as an older Ram I turned had all electric fans on it. But it also has an electric inside the shroud mounted on the inside of the radiator as well. The electric is for AC and comes on when the compressor does.

My tow rating is over 10000 pounds! Wow.

I do not like that all the typical zerks on the front end are gone for 'permanently lubricated' tie rod ends and such. But I have a needle for those guys...

Last edited:
Update: Got to spend the whole day running the new Ram around town.

For those who would like the info the water temp stabilizes at 203-206, trans temp holds to 188-190, oil temp sits at 212-215, and the truck has 39 psi at idle at those temps.

Average mpg across 119 miles of all city work was 17 mpg, all the more amazing when you note the several full throttle blasts in there!

Miles on the odo are only 735, not even broke in good yet...

Beautiful truck! I love that front end view more than any vehicle I can think of.

Also love the fact that they let you see a digital readout of the engine info. Too bad every vehicle doesn't offer that.

I was at a CJRD dealer and I looked at a Cherokee Trailhawk. The sticker was $39,500. The fact that you got a full size hemi powered truck for the same price of a small SUV shows how good of a value trucks are.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Beautiful truck! I love that front end view more than any vehicle I can think of.

Also love the fact that they let you see a digital readout of the engine info. Too bad every vehicle doesn't offer that.

Yep, we love that feature. The display in the center of the instrument cluster is completely customizable, you can see a BUNCH of stuff, and you can get graphics or numeric info which I like a lot!

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Enthusiasm for this truck prompted me to find this write-up.There is some very new tech going on here..PWM on the fuel circuit,alternator and rad fan? Neat.This info is for the '13-'14 ,but still...
Rob you have discovered the holy grail for Mopar folks. Allpar has some really deep info that you just don't find everywhere! This is a very late 2014, it was made in September, so it has the latest software and updates aboard.

whip said:
I was at a CJRD dealer and I looked at a Cherokee Trailhawk. The sticker was $39,500. The fact that you got a full size hemi powered truck for the same price of a small SUV shows how good of a value trucks are.

Yes, this thing has amazing utility with the Ram boxes and the huge interior space. My wife was able to fit the entire contents of the trunk AND back seat into the rear of the cab and still keep one seat down and usable. No AWD but the payoff is lower weight and a hugely improved turning radius. Seems to have pretty good dynamics for such a large vehicle.

Last edited:
Beautiful truck Steve!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand

Hemi has 395hp/410torque

its rated 15 city/22 highway mpg+ for 2WD with eight-speed automatic transmission

the ego-diesel is 20/28 with 240hp/420torque

But those numbers don't really tell the full story. The Hemi reaches peak torque at around 4200 RPM, while the EcoDiesel reaches it's peak torque at 2000 RPM. I may be in the minority, but I would rather have all torque available at engine RPM's I usually drive while towing instead of having to spike the engine 3/4 the way to red line to get peak torque. Torque is what gets you over the hill when towing. Not a fan of the EcoDiesel, but just noting the realities.

After owning two 5.4 3v F-150's this is my second Dodge Truck now Ram. I owned a 1994 Ram when they redesigned them. It had a 5.9 360 V8. I absolutely Luv my 2012 Ram single cab 5.7 2wd Hemi Express! Its got a tow package & this thing screws with 3.92 posi rear end. 390 HP Six Speed. I bought it to tow my bike trailer. It tows it better than either of my F-150's ever did! Truck is not my daily driver as it only sees about 5K miles a year. With only 26K miles on her she should be around for quite some time as I park my trucks during the winter salt months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Rand

Hemi has 395hp/410torque

its rated 15 city/22 highway mpg+ for 2WD with eight-speed automatic transmission

the ego-diesel is 20/28 with 240hp/420torque

But those numbers don't really tell the full story. The Hemi reaches peak torque at around 4200 RPM, while the EcoDiesel reaches it's peak torque at 2000 RPM. I may be in the minority, but I would rather have all torque available at engine RPM's I usually drive while towing instead of having to spike the engine 3/4 the way to red line to get peak torque. Torque is what gets you over the hill when towing. Not a fan of the EcoDiesel, but just noting the realities.

Power peaks mean little, as the 5.7 produces well over 300 pounds feet at 2500 rpm. Torque is this engines strong suit. VERY wide and flat torque across a huge rev range. Not a peaky motor at all like a 5.3 GM.

It is also rated extremely conservatively and can do much better under ideal conditions where the spark can be advanced. A simple aftermarket tune is easy to install and really adds noticeable grunt in the lower rev ranges.

Very nice. Can it be had in a regular cab/short box configuration? After all these years, I still don't like crew cab trucks.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Very nice. Can it be had in a regular cab/short box configuration? After all these years, I still don't like crew cab trucks.

Yes it can. There are a dizzying number of configs available, and a short cab short bed would also be quite a bit quicker as the weight would be less...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back