Mobil 5000 5w30 Or Super Tech 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asked by my sons friend which oil is best for a gm 3.1 in his 96 buick, He is in college and although his parents are paying for school and everything else they won't pay for car care. i told him both mobil 5000 5w30 and supertech 5w30 will pretty much both do a good job and told him i will post it here and ask others what they think and why. I think he is looking for the cheapest decent oil he can find.He will be at school in long island. It will be for the winter i assume.

Though today, the OP will be getting the SN versions of both oil at W*M.
smile.gif

I've used MS5k a few times in my sister's '08 RAV4. Neither she nor I noticed any difference between it and PYB or MC 5W-20, which is my favourite.

Tell him to use whichever he can get most easily.

Either would be fine, but me, I'd choose MS5K since one of my 3 vehicles uses it, and I don't go to Wally's.

Maybe somewhat off-topic, but can't he get some student loans? My parents didn't pay for my education, so I supported myself with student loans and got a bit of additional out every semester to live off of. Then he can upgrade to a full synthetic.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Maybe somewhat off-topic, but can't he get some student loans? My parents didn't pay for my education, so I supported myself with student loans and got a bit of additional out every semester to live off of. Then he can upgrade to a full synthetic.
grin.gif

Paying back that student loan will make that very expensive synthetic oil versus no student loan and using SuperTech
wink.gif

Whimsey

grin.gif

please tell me that your degree has nothing to do with business or personal finances.

grin.gif

With interest, that synthetic oil change would cost about $150. Better to keep it on the cheap.

Originally Posted By: meborder
grin.gif

please tell me that your degree has nothing to do with business or personal finances.

Oh-snap-1322775931.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: meborder
grin.gif

Oh-snap-1322775931.jpg

Yes please tell us that your degree IS NOT business or finance

edit: his degree is Bachelors of Crooked Arts from the University of Washington D.C.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Originally Posted By: 285south
Super Tech has Molybdenum in it while Mobil 5K does not

My vote goes to Super Tech

M5k has titanium, Supertech does not.

My vote goes M5k. Probably doesn't matter between the two choices in reality.

What is titanium used for?

I believe that titanium is an anti wear/friction reducer additive, replacing some but not all Zinc. I could be wrong!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back