17 years. Zero trick or treaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
Teachers should drop STRONG HINTS to students that Trick or Treating should be for kids 10 and younger.

They can handle being told that the little ones are cute and that things come to an end.

I just "manned" my sister's house and said hello too all the kids as they came up.

The little ones are cute and the big ones are ugly. Kira

If you're under 18 and you have a good costume-you get a treat-that simple.

I'm all for those who put forth the effort.....

13 years in this house. I bought candy the first two years and had two T or Ters. I wasn't going to play that game anymore so I just made a point of being on the computer during that time until a couple years ago. All of a sudden I had about 12 show up and I wasn't prepared. I and was watching TV where the front door was. I didn't answer and went to the computer room. I had more last year...surfed in the back room. This year I buy candy. I can hear them out on the sidewalk and my TV was on, but no one knocked. I guess I bought dessert for the next week or so.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I had one ring at the doorbell, but after getting off a 10.5 hour shift and not having any candy in the house, I just ignored it. Yes, I'm the Grinch of Halloween

Nothing wrong with that. I do not hand out candy myself. I just ignore it when someone knocks too. Around here you are supposed to turn your outside light on if you are handing candy out and the age limit is supposed to be 12. However, you get tons of kids banging on your door even with the light out and there are kids obviously in their mid to late teens who go around too. I do not feel bad about not handing it out.

When I was a kid you dressed up and went to a few friends and family homes and that was it. These days it is an assault from kids you do not know who may even come from other towns and such.

Like most Holidays it has been ruined.

We're very rural, and between our current location of almost 20 years and our prior rural location of almost 20 years, haven't seen any trick or treaters. Even if we did it's a safe bet that I would not pass on sugar and chemical laden treats anyway.

I live in a rural acreage community. Nobody does Halloween here. No decorations, no kids, no trick or treat.

My previous neighborhood was so much fun! I miss it.

My house is behind others off the main street so nobody really knows it is back here. But sadly there are not that many kids who trick or treat around here anyway.

I had zero trick or treaters...kinda makes me wonder if the trick or treat thing is dying out...so many changes in society since I was a kid and many of the changes aren't good...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
It appears I am 'that guy' on the end of the street most people are avoiding.

I think I've had < 10 knocks @ the door; that include LDS

-Regards

Porch light on and a couple decorations out front will change all that.

We will leave a bucket of candy on the door, but no kids in years. We get together with some friends and head into town, and walk door to door.

At least it wasn't raining this year. It almost passed for warm, had to be mid 40's.

We live in the country, so we go with my SIL to trick or treat in her neighborhood. It's a neighborhood with a ton of younger families, so there are tons of trick or treaters. The rule here is that if your light is on, trick or treaters can knock. I'd say about 50% of houses participate.

I also helped hand out candy at her place, and was a bit disappointed by the number of kids that either had no manners, or older kids that put absolutely no effort into a costume other than throwing on their H.S. jersey. For every cute kid, there was another who marched up to the door and just said "how many pieces of candy can I have?" No "trick or treat", no "thank you". Then there are the parents that drive their kids from house to house. Seriously. That's not how I'm raising my kids, but I can see after a couple years of that how one could lose interest in handing out candy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back