So You Think Tires Are Expensive Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Isn't the rubber from old tires reused to make new ones?

As a rule, No!!

The raw materials used to make tires is cheaper than what it costs to process used tires into something usable.

But while it is less expensive to not recycle tires, the problem is so big that most locales try to improve the economics by mandating a fee on new tires to be used on recycling the old ones. That doesn't change the picture from a money loser to a money maker, but it does help.

Plus most tire manufacturers will use some recycled tire products in non-critical parts of the tire - like the sidewall. It makes for good PR, but in the big scheme of things is largely ineffective. We're talking a few percent for each tire.

Last edited:
I worded my question wrong. I should've asked if the rubber from old tires is used for anything in such a way that these tire places would get paid for their tires when they dispose of them? If that's the case, then it makes me wonder why they would charge a disposal fee to customers.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I worded my question wrong. I should've asked if the rubber from old tires is used for anything in such a way that these tire places would get paid for their tires when they dispose of them? If that's the case, then it makes me wonder why they would charge a disposal fee to customers.

If I understand this correctly, most places have to pay to dispose of tires. The idea behind the disposal fee is to encourage folks to create businesses to dispose of tires in a responsible manner. As of right now, the economics don't work very well and lots of tires are finding their way into streams and landfill (where they can catch on fire.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back