garden led lights and battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My garden led solar powered lights are all dead, I suspect the NiMH battery is dead.
Can I replace it with a regular NiMH battery? I have been some NiMH battery rated for solar lights, not sure if I need these.

Can't hurt.

I don't know what makes a solar light battery into that. Wider temp range, or a way to charge extra for low-tech batteries? All the ones I've seen thus far seemed lower capacity than what I'd otherwise buy. But for the application, a 2.4Ahr AA is very likely overkill.

I just replace mine every couple of years. I leave them in the ground year 'round. Loose one or two from the snow shovel, or they otherwise break. I haven't bothered debugging them, as the plastic bits give up the ghost usually.

Have you opened one up and looked at what's inside? The ones you buy at the home improvement centers tend to have regular AA-sized NiMH batteries. Don't bother going for a huge mA/hr rating like the 2500 mA/hr or larger ones they sell at electronics stores for cameras and the like- the battery will just never fully charge. They make some in the ~800 mA/hr range that seem to work best with my solar garden lights.

Nearly everything I've pulled apart has had a NiCd in them.

Have tried to rejuvinate them on my multi style recharger, and can't get squat (Rezap charger).

expensive answer, grab a NiMH, needs to be charged first.

Cheap as chips answer, grab the half used alkaline out of your TV remote (put new ones in the remote), then put the alkalines in the solar lights.

They last over a year, probably about as long as the NiCd didn't last, and with the type of use, I've only had one in maybe three dozen leak.

Iirc nicad works better as temps drop. Well, loses less of its capacity.

Also aren't most of these cells good for 300 cycles or so? Even at a couple times that they are not lifetime items.

I did not know that I had to charge the darn batteries,
I opened one up and it had a NiCd battery as you guys pointed out.
I changed the battery in one dead one and no dice, no light.
So I went ahead and bought a bunch of new ones from costco.
I will make sure I charge the new ones every 3 months.

Charge them every three months? That's a new one to me. Have to admit I've never read the directions. But charge them? Isn't that what the sun is for?

Thanks, interesting, I have around 20 lights and I will probably chalk up a garden light maint day!

yes sir, will do this tomorrow on one solar light, I will check the voltage on alkaline before installation and check check after 1 day in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back