Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay here it goes...... I bought a car yesterday from someone I know or thought I knew. I drove the car up and down the person's rd. Then went straight home. Less than 5 miles. No problems. Parked the car for the night. Woke up this am excited about getting it legal. Drove it into town to handle insurance, registering it, tags. During doing these things probably within 15-20 miles it started making a knocking noise mostly when pushing gas at first. When rpm were up right before it changed gears. Checked the oil a lil low but not too low. Then progressively started making the knocking noise continuously Im thinking around 40 miles or so. I had someone listen to it and they think its the rod bearings need to be replaced. It's BAD. I put a lucas oil treatment in it and some thicker oil. Still knocking BAD. I just wanted to know if someone could have done something to engine because it was not knocking when I bought it. It made one strange noise when the person cranked it to let me drive it but the noise stopped immediately. If they could of done something how can I find out for sure. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joy

VERY thick oil might have masked bad rod bearings, especially when the oil was not hot.
Did you look at the oil on the dip stick?
Dis it look very thick?

I guess a UOA might tell you if the oil was a straight 50 or laced with STP.
If that will get you anywhere, I'm not sure.

You could have a completely sludged motor, blocking the oil passages.Look at the oil pump and pick-up for complete clogging.You have to pull the oil pan.

Have the oil pressure checked with a mechanics gauge.

Do you have coolant loss?

What's the temp reading?

(UOA ...used oil analysis.)

Last edited:
How many miles are on the car? Did you add Lucas and the thicker oil to the existing oil,or did you do a complete drain/refill?

Honestly,I'd drain whatever is in there and refill with Pennzoil dino 10W30 and see what happens. My friend has a 98 Altima nearing 400,000 miles on nothing but the oil I recommended. Still runs like brand new. She drove it back and forth from south Texas to Alaska for several years.

Originally Posted By: joyridin83
I just wanted to know if someone could have done something to engine because it was not knocking when I bought it.

Sawdust in the oil. The oldest trick in the book.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
try changing the oil and filter first

Use 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and any cheap filter that fits then change it after 1,000 miles.

This first OCI (oil change interval) will help clean the sludge out fast, assuming there is a lot since your friend likely never changed it on a regular basis.

2nd OCI: 2500 miles with 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and a Tough Guard filter. This second short interval will help clean out the remaining sludge.

After that stick to 5,000 miles with 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram Ultra filter.

Even though the car was purchased from a private owner, does your state/town allow for a return on the vehicle within 3-5 business days?

How did you pay for the car? Cash, Check?
If by check, cancel it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Even though the car was purchased from a private owner, does your state/town allow for a return on the vehicle within 3-5 business days?

How did you pay for the car? Cash, Check?
If by check, cancel it!

Good question, I doubt it though, it would probably end up in small claims court. Every car I sell privately goes out with a bill of sale, and I only take cash. The Bill of Sale has a description of the car, vin #, person's name who bought it, the date, and the words: sold as is for repair. They sign it, I get a copy they get a copy. It works like a charm, and will keep me from losing in court if it ever got to that point. I also let the person have a mechanic check the car if they'd like to do so. If the OP signed such a document he'd be SOL, if he didn't he could try court, although I still think he'd be SOL, depending.......

OP- I'd change the oil and filter, use the proper grade oil and a good filter, then hope for the best. Good luck.

I had a car with a lifter ticking and a rod knocking. Never did it when the car was cold, it would only make noise when the car warmed up good. Took at least 5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Does this car have the 2.5 engine that's known for the pre-cat breaking apart and ruining the engine?

No.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How many miles are on the car? Did you add Lucas and the thicker oil to the existing oil,or did you do a complete drain/refill?

Honestly,I'd drain whatever is in there and refill with Pennzoil dino 10W30 and see what happens. My friend has a 98 Altima nearing 400,000 miles on nothing but the oil I recommended. Still runs like brand new. She drove it back and forth from south Texas to Alaska for several years.
WOW! Must have been a V6.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

WOW! Must have been a V6.

Haha nope,it's the 4 cyl one :^P That car seems to be indestructible! Paint,body,and interior are still in excellent shape too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back