Amsoil SVG or Valvoline synpower 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive decided to change my differentials early in my 2008 silverado with 23k miles on it. I've narrowed my choices down to two gear lubes. Amsoil SVG 75w90 and Valvoline Synpower 75w90. Ive used the amsoil in my old C5 vette, and i used synpower in my old S2000 and Rx8 R3. Both lubes performed excellent.

Do you guys think that SVG is worth the extra $ per QT over the Valvoline Synpower? It seems Synpower meets all the same specs as the SVG. Planned use is 50k mile intervals in my Silverado, 3:73 locking Differential. I do mostly highway driving as well as light towing occasionally.

Most people are going to tell you to go with the Amsoil, I have never used it. I have used the Valvoline in my last truck and current truck and it's been good for me. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'd save the money and go with Valvoline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Most people are going to tell you to go with the Amsoil, I have never used it. I have used the Valvoline in my last truck and current truck and it's been good for me. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'd save the money and go with Valvoline.

I assume you have been completely satisfied with the Synpower in your silverado? quiet running also? thanks!

I use the 75W90 Amsoil (Old Formula - FGR) and I just don't worry about the OCI interval. In most cases, the newer products are not worth the extra money.

Valvoline makes great oil, I use Max-Life ATF and the motor oil from NAPA (made by Valvoline). You are trying to compare a basic oil to a top of the line gear oil.

I used conventional gear lube in the past and changed it every 20K or at least every two years. Most differential manufactures now recommend a full synthetic due to the heat generated and the cold flow properties.

Have you considered at a full synthetic sold in stores as an alternative to ordering Amsoil?

Dufus2, Valvoline synpower is Full synthetic, meeting all the same stringent specs that
Amsoil does. Just trying to get opinions from people who have used either product extensively.

Valvoline Synpower is a J2360 fluid, which is a civilian version of a gear oil MIL-SPEC. The current listing of J2360 lubricants can be found at http://www.pri-network.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/LRI-QPL-8-26-14-on-line.xls. BTW, Amsoil is not on the approval list. They may meet the spec, just not pay for the testing or to be on the approval list, for all I know. My point is that Synpower can be used with utmost confidence.

I recently did the diffs on my Burb and went with Renewable Lubes, but I was leaning toward Synpower before going with RLI. Maybe check out Renewable Lubricants on Amazon if you are looking for another option.

Last edited:
I have always used Valvoline Synpower 75W90 in my 07' WRX I purchased new for the rear differential. The car has 134K on it and was modified when the warranty expired at 60K. Went from being a 14.4 second 1/4 mile car to running a best 13.56. Never any issues. The rear diff on the WRX is tiny but the torque is split 50% rear, 50% front on stick cars.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have always used Valvoline Synpower 75W90 in my 07' WRX I purchased new for the rear differential. The car has 134K on it and was modified when the warranty expired at 60K. Went from being a 14.4 second 1/4 mile car to running a best 13.56. Never any issues. The rear diff on the WRX is tiny but the torque is split 50% rear, 50% front on stick cars.

Proof positive ^^

Coin toss.
Any current full synth gear oil will work fine.

If you drove 23k miles in 6 years, I would use the Amsoil.

Could just treat your truck this time and get Amsoil. Then next time get the Valvoline.

Not to side track the threat, but where are you guys getting your Valvoline Synpower locally? Does oreilly or one of the other chain auto parts stores usually stock it?

Castrol, Mobil1, Valvoline, and RoyalPurple are stocked at the local big chain stores here...Autozone, Oreilly, Advance, Napa, Carquest, Pepboys!

I use Synpower in my F-150's differentials, and am very happy with the results. Amsoil products are high quality also, so either way you can't go wrong.

I've read through the gear oil UOAs and VOAs and according to them,Amsoil Severe Gear is hands down the best of the best!!

We run SVG in our differentials on the Dodge 3500 w/ Cummins. However, it tows regularly. I wouldn't bother spending the extra $$ on AMSOIL with several OTC synthetic options available at all local parts stores. The OTC products will be just fine in your truck with your intended usage.

Nice truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back