VALERO GASOLINE IS NOW TOP TIER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
Sent to me via valero this morning: http://www.valero.com/NewsRoom/Pages/PR_20141029_1.aspx

I'm glad I finally caused them to actually write something on it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Still not sure about them....

I've used them dozens of times in different cars and never had an issue. I suspect the problems might be more tied to the stations having faulty tanks or something rather than to the product as it's intended to be delivered...

Sunoco says its fuels "significant exceed" minimum EPA requirements. It is likely Sunoco is at or above Top Tier requirements. It might be as high as BP and Shell but I wouldn't avoid Sunoco at all.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Costco gas is probably the best out there. And it is often the cheapest.

Just have to put up with queues sometimes.

Really ? and who's gas is Costco pumping ? If they are the best it would only be that they sell a lot of gas so it's always fresher than other stations.

All the random test I've read say Shell and Chevron are the best, most consistent additive wise....very closely followed by Mobile, BP, Texaco. Very little between the top 5 except that Shell and Chevron are said to have best additives.

Who's gas Costco pumping ?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Sunoco says its fuels "significant exceed" minimum EPA requirements. It is likely Sunoco is at or above Top Tier requirements. It might be as high as BP and Shell but I wouldn't avoid Sunoco at all.

All the Sunoco's I've seen in Michigan say Invigorate® on the pumps, wouldn't that be BP gas ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame

Really ? and who's gas is Costco pumping ? If they are the best it would only be that they sell a lot of gas so it's always fresher than other stations.

All the random test I've read say Shell and Chevron are the best, most consistent additive wise....very closely followed by Mobile, BP, Texaco. Very little between the top 5 except that Shell and Chevron are said to have best additives.

All the Sunoco's I've seen in Michigan say Invigorate® on the pumps, wouldn't that be BP gas ?

Costco gets its gas from local suppliers/refiners just like every other station (gasoline is a commodity good) and meters out the additives at the station itself.

I would think so. If it is, the additives are 5x the EPA minimum and well above Top Tier.

ARCO is my choice with SHELL a close second, SHELL is my gas on long trips as I see more shell stations along the highways
thumbsup2.gif

"Invigorate" is BP. Sunoco plays up their NASCAR connection here. It is good gas, pity they did away the 94 octane...

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao

Costco gets its gas from local suppliers/refiners just like every other station (gasoline is a commodity good) and meters out the additives at the station itself.

Of course the base fuel is a commodity. I know there's the loyal Shell/Chevron/Mobil/etc customer who wants to be believe that the name at the pump means that the fuel came from a refinery with the same logo, but that's just not the case. Most fuel goes through pipelines to the fuel depots and gets intermixed with the fuels from different refineries. The refiners set standards, and when they trade - you better believe their trading partners will keep them honest by testing the fuel to make sure it meets the standards.

A few years ago, the Chevron Richmond refinery lost most of its output after a fire. Chevron stations didn't suddenly put up "no more gas" signs. Chevron just bought fuel on the commodity market to supply their stations. I think that normally their inputs to the fuel depots count as credits that they use to supply their retailers.

The big deal should be the maintenance at individual gas stations, and that's often dependent on the willingness of the franchisee. However, that's supposed to be tightly regulated in California. CARB does random checks at refineries, depots, and gas stations. They have a mobile testing lab that can check for octane rating, content of fuel/ethanol, water, contaminants, and other issues.

As far as Valero goes, they're one of the top 3 refiners in the US in any given year. It's highly likely that drivers in certain parts of the country have used some of their base fuel, although it might be mixed with fuel from other refiners.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Because their gas (at least around here) has been touchy to say the least. Had a local station fail some gas tests. They've always had the lowest prices (sometimes cheaper than the indies) around...had questions about that...

In our neck of the woods, the Valero stations are always around 5-7 cents higher per gallon than the competition. We just drive right on by to the nearest Shell. We usually drive out west every year and try to stick to Phillips 66 or Chevron/Texaco.

I fill with Valero primarily, closest station to my house and within a few pennies of the cheapest (but further) stations.
I also use (in no particular order) Exxon, Gulf, Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Wal Mart, Kroger and Raceway. I am really not that picky, just use name brand stations and ones that look like they are kept up and clean.

I know somebody drummed up an old topic in the fuel section. But let's give this one some front page attention. Poking around the Internet tonight found they added a butt load of new gas stations Over at toptiergas.com and noticed that Valero is now one of them. Huh? Got one at the end of my street guess I'm going to have to give them a try.

Timothy Ferguson,

I've used Valero a couple times in the past but never had any issues with there gas. Since ARCO is not Top Tier as well I'd rather use them as a standard. Never had issues with Arco either. It appears that all of them will be considered Top Tier.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
I know somebody drummed up an old topic in the fuel section. But let's give this one some front page attention. Poking around the Internet tonight found they added a butt load of new gas stations Over at toptiergas.com and noticed that Valero is now one of them. Huh? Got one at the end of my street guess I'm going to have to give them a try.

Timothy Ferguson,

I've used Valero a couple times in the past but never had any issues with there gas. Since ARCO is not Top Tier as well I'd rather use them as a standard. Never had issues with Arco either. It appears that all of them will be considered Top Tier.

Durango

Just read my posting after a couple days and noticed a correction needs to be made! ARCO is NOW Top Tier as I saw it over the web.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back