Sharp 42" LED 1080p/120Hz - $299

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Not internet ready, is the only thing that would stand out as a deal breaker,for me at least.

That's easily correctable with a $32 Chromecast.

Let me ask a stupid question.

Do you have a High Definition TV signal feed from cable or satellite?

If not, you will be viewing Standard Definition TV on a HD panel. Not the best solution IMO.

Originally Posted By: Danno

Don't forget via antenna. It's the best source of all.

Get an HD antenna too...
Forgot who made mine, (RCA I think)
but it looks like the square from 2001, A Space Odyssey
or a conning tower on a submarine...

Flat grey upright rectangle...

I can not recommend Sharp right now. I dealing with a problem under warranty with an 60" right now and find many more have issues with the same. I have had good luck with Sharp in the past but that good will is being quickly eroded by this experience.Think Panasonic.

This set isn't made by Sharp, Best Buy licensed the brand and slapped it on their Insignia line that is manufactured by Xoceco. It's not a bad set, and it's a decent/lukewarm deal at $299. The warranty is with Best Buy.

Looks like a decent deal. I paid $400 for my 43" Samsung plasma (600hz) a few years back, but it's only 720p. I was thinking of replacing it with something that's at least 1080p in the near future. I wouldn't worry about it not being internet ready, there are many other alternatives you can use instead (Roku, Chromecast, Xbox/Playstation, etc.) if you even care about that.

I'd go for it just to get rid of the CRT.
I once had a Sharp (52" or 55", Aquois, can't remember) and no issues.
If you have a Fry's nearby, some carry reman MOHU Leaf antenna's for like half the price of new. It looks new in the box, just in a brown cardboard labeled box instead of the white box. I bought one for the spare room TV & it gets a lot of OTA stations/channels in my area.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Not internet ready, is the only thing that would stand out as a deal breaker,for me at least.

That's easily correctable with a $32 Chromecast.

Yep.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Let me ask a stupid question.

If not, you will be viewing Standard Definition TV on a HD panel. Not the best solution IMO.

Yep. I have a HD feed.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
People still have working CRT'S?

There's always one joker in the group.
smile.gif

Yes, I'm currently using a Panasonic 27" CRT. I gave $20 for it on Craigslist a few years ago. I've stayed with the 27" CRT's so long, because that's what fits into my home entertainment center.

Before that, I had a 27" Magnavox CRT that I paid around $600 in 1995. It was one of the first models with Picture in Picture and Smart Sound. It lasted 17 years.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This set isn't made by Sharp, Best Buy licensed the brand and slapped it on their Insignia line that is manufactured by Xoceco. It's not a bad set, and it's a decent/lukewarm deal at $299. The warranty is with Best Buy.

If it is a decent/lukewarm deal, what's a better deal out there for $300, on something that is 42" (or larger), that's 120Hz?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: dishdude

If it is a decent/lukewarm deal, what's a better deal out there for $300, on something that is 42" (or larger), that's 120Hz?

RCA 46" for $299

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back