Rotella vs.Motorcraft Story-Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, been busy with school and work and family. Hope everyone is well here!

So, crazy story happened with these two oils. AFIK, my truck has always had a diet of Rotella. I have used 10w-30 and 15w-40, but mostly the 15w-40 has been fine for my needs. This last summer we took our bi-annual trip to Texas and when visitng a friend of mine, he said he has been using the Motorcraft 15w-40 in all of his older 7.3s and it works great etc, not to mention, it is actually a bit cheaper than Rotella at WalMart AND they offer it in 10w-30 should ever have the need or desire, right? I also figured, hey, its designed for the Powerstroke which is heavily dependent on good oil for the fuel systems; mainly injector performance. I promptly changed it when I was at his house and we headed back to California 2 days later.

Long story short, my truck started missing and stumbling under WOT and would not run very well unless I sort of gave it only 1/2 throttle. It would have good power, stumble, good power, miss, miss, stumble, and so forth.

When I got home, it continued to do this for the last two weeks and I thought it was injector time for sure. HPOP was good with pressure and all else was in order with the rest of the truck. I told my buddy about it and he asks, "did this start after you switched over to Motorcraft?" I said "yep"! He tells to change back to Rotella and get back to him with the results. I am here to tell you that when I changed it and started the truck,as soon as the oil circulated I could tell a huge difference in the idle cadence! I drove it and it was like a new truck! It had its power back, no missing, and ran like it just got a new set of injectors. I could not believe it. I thought it might be a fluke, but a week later, it has not missed one time. It accelerates super smooth and my mileage is back up.

I guess I say all this to say that I really learned how important oil is to HEUI systems. I am NOT saying one oil is better than the other because I know plenty of guys who run Motorcraft Diesel oil religiously and have great results. My truck happened to be one that just didn't like it for WHATEVER reason. I never even considered oil being a problem when my injectors were not working as they should. Once I talked about this on the Ford forum, a few others popped up and said the same thing. they found out that their trucks literally run better on Rotella or Delvac or whatever their truck got used to than it did on whatever oil they tried to change over to.

Again, this is not about Rotella vs. everything else. I have used every diesel oil under the sun with good UOAs, but this is a first for me. Even Supertech has been used in my trucks with good results
shocked.gif
Yep, I said it. Anyways, that's my story. thanks for reading!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
weird.my truck drinks rotella

You have the older 6.9 though, correct? Might be a different animal, but I don't know much about those diesels.

Yes it is the 6.9. It prefers ST and Delvac and drinks Delo and Rotella. Rotella was so bad that I was topping it up with whatever I had on hand.

Here Motorcraft oil is uber expensive...$23 a gallon @ A-Zone so I've never used it.

Last edited:
Here Motorcraft oil is uber expensive...$23 a gallon @ A-Zone so I've never used it.

The Walmart @ 20251 Hwy 18 in Apple Valley has both Motorcraft 15w-40 & 10w-30 on the shelf.

$17 for 5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

The Walmart @ 20251 Hwy 18 in Apple Valley has both Motorcraft 15w-40 & 10w-30 on the shelf.

$17 for 5 quarts.

still too expensive! wonder if they have it at the hesperia store. thats much closer to me even though i live in apple valley.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

$17 for 5 quarts.

still too expensive! wonder if they have it at the hesperia store. thats much closer to me even though i live in apple valley.

Its really not much more than Rotella when you consider it's 5 gallons and not 4. Rotella at my WalMart is $12.57 so its about the same when you work it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
weird.my truck drinks rotella

You have the older 6.9 though, correct? Might be a different animal, but I don't know much about those diesels.

Yes, the 6.9 is very different in several ways.

The biggest difference in his situation is that the PSD uses engine oil to operate the fuel injectors, whereas the 6.9 uses an ordinary distributor pump.

When I had my 2002 F350 7.3, I used the Motor Craft 15w40 with the Motor Craft oil filter, no issues at all. I tried the Delo and Rotella as well, my 7.3 liked the Delo better than the Rotella.

The Motor Craft oil which is made for Ford by Conoco Oil, is a very good oil. If I still had my 7.3, the Motor Craft oil would be my first choice.

A 6.9 or early 7.3 IDI will run on just about anything-15W40, 10W30, 5W40, straight 30. I've even used 10W40 NG MaxLife as top-off oil on mine with no ill effects. Now a HEUI 7.3 or 6.0, that's a totally different animal, they are picky pains in the neck until you find what they like-and when you find it, don't change vicosity OR brand!

Indeed, the old IDIs were not picky at all. I believe Ottomatic ran his 6.9 for 450k miles on dino 30 grade and it was never taken apart for any major issue, and was still running great when stolen at that mileage.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Indeed, the old IDIs were not picky at all. I believe Ottomatic ran his 6.9 for 450k miles on dino 30 grade and it was never taken apart for any major issue, and was still running great when stolen at that mileage.

that's right . Penzoil HD 30 from new in the 86 F250 6.9. Also Fram fiters all it's life. Stolen @450K. I still keep my eye out hoping some day I see it.

However I used just about every 15w-40 diesel oil in my early 99 F250 7.3 and never had an issue o
I did replace HPOP @ 320 or so K only because I went with Stage 1 injectors.
Sold 99 with 355K for 9K (sometimes I wish I sold Dmax instead)

Another note: Both trucks had a fuel additive in every tank of fuel since new.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back