Tire Pressure Monitor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
About half way into my daily 35 mile commute to work. The low tire pressure light and "Check Tire Pressure" warning come on. When I check the tire pressure via the monitor it reads.
LF 30 psi
RF---psi
LR 35 psi
RR 35 psi

Thoughts..

Battery in the sensor is probably dead. What year is the car? They're supposed to last about 6 years or so, but if you drive more, they could die sooner. Unfortunately most sensors are designed so that you can't replace the battery and end up having to buy a new one.

2007. For the first 30 minutes it works fine then the RF tire doesn't read pressure for about 15 minutes. Then the last 10 minutes it works fine again.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

2007 WHAT? Zaporozhets?

Why are you so secretive? Not all cars are the same. Problems happen for different reasons on different models. Sometimes there are TSBs for specific problem with specific models.

problem with the sensor, possibly battery dying hard to be specific without knowing a make and model of car.

Wasn't trying to be secretive. I was asked what year the vehicle was. It's a 2007 Trailblazer 4.2L

I just had the same thing happen to my 08 CTS. Bad sensor. Replaced and all is well again.

Looks like it's a $37-$46 part from rockauto plus shipping plus whatever a tire shop will charge to mount and balance a tire. Hope the tire has good tread as it'd be a waste to remove the tire and remount it only to replace it a year or two later. I think on some cars there's an option to just shut it off or just ignore it and check tire pressure the old fashioned way.

I'm sure you can check the archives and see my earlier rants on the TPMS system. Lord knows I despise this system with a passion. I can't think of one good reason why the government would require this system on new cars. I've been checking tire pressure my whole life with a tire gauge and I've never lost a tire because of tire pressure issues. I don't need the added expense, at the time of purchase since it has to be included in the original cost some how, or the added repair costs when they fail, as they are sure to do at some point in time due, at the least, to expected battery life depletion. Just my humble opinion.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I'm sure you can check the archives and see my earlier rants on the TPMS system. Lord knows I despise this system with a passion. I can't think of one good reason why the government would require this system on new cars. I've been checking tire pressure my whole life with a tire gauge and I've never lost a tire because of tire pressure issues. I don't need the added expense, at the time of purchase since it has to be included in the original cost some how, or the added repair costs when they fail, as they are sure to do at some point in time due, at the least, to expected battery life depletion. Just my humble opinion.

I agree. It's yet still another reason to like older cars.
But don't some cars use the ABS sensor to do the same thing with nothing extra in the actual tire (like my 1999 Alero).

Originally Posted By: Sierra048

They didn't mandate it for guys like us, that actually check the pressure periodically. They did it for the cattle that don't know any better. Same for the lane departure alert systems, and the autobrake system.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. If and when I gave a bad sensor I'll let it go a while. I check the pressure manually anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back