snowblower 5w20 wt oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a craftsman 9hp tecumesh 2stage blower and just changed the oil which I do every season. however, this round I used qsud 5w20.(all I had around) is this going to be an issue using the 20wt even though it "calls" for 30wt. opinions please....ps it's been a relatively good thrower, and engine appears to have good life left.

Last edited:
Synthetic or conventional? Synthetic will handle the heat better.

It's been mentioned numerous times, these utility engines will run on just about any oil. Just make sure you keep that old Tecumseh's oil at the right level. They don't like running low and give very little warning when they're ready to let go.

In a pinch I'd use 5W20 however it wouldn't be my first choice. Just keep a close eye on if for the first couple of hours. If it's not discoloring faster than normal and the engine isn't running hot, you should be alright. If things appear normal, just run it for the season and next year, get something a bit heavier like 5 or 10W30.

It wouldn't be my first choice either. I'd stick with 5w-30 synthetic.

Tecumseh's do like to throw rods when run low on oil so keep an eye on it closely.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

It's been mentioned numerous times, these utility engines will run on just about any oil. Just make sure you keep that old Tecumseh's oil at the right level. They don't like running low and give very little warning when they're ready to let go.

In a pinch I'd use 5W20 however it wouldn't be my first choice. Just keep a close eye on if for the first couple of hours. If it's not discoloring faster than normal and the engine isn't running hot, you should be alright. If things appear normal, just run it for the season and next year, get something a bit heavier like 5 or 10W30.

He said QSUD.

I used 5w40 Rotella last winter in my Chinese engine, that was a mistake because it was hard to pull start. Going with the recommended 5W30 this year but Napa Synthetic.

I see no harm with using a 5W20 as long as you don't bog it down and make it grunt.

I used 5W20 (synthetic) in my Briggs Quantum mower over winter (we didn't have much of a winter, and grass kept growing)

Hot, restarting, it gave a nasty couple of knocks just as it fired, which I didn't like, and smoked quite a bit (does none on 30).

How hot are these snow blower engines? I bet oil temps don't even get above 170.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

How hot are these snow blower engines? I bet oil temps don't even get above 170.

Definitely hotter than 170. Probably closer to 270 deg or higher. Hot enough to burn you if you pour it directly on your hand during a hot oil change.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Definitely hotter than 170. Probably closer to 270 deg or higher. Hot enough to burn you if you pour it directly on your hand during a hot oil change.

270? HIGHLY doubtful. That is REALLY high, especially on an AIR COOLED engine when its 20 degrees outside.

"5w20 synthetic is fine for snow blowers. Just watch that oil level like a hawk."

+1

Anyone here have a laser temp guage? I'd like to know how hot a snowblower's engine actually gets after it has been run at full throttle for, say, 30 minutes in 20-25F degree weather.

I've found the laser temp guns to give too low a reading.

I've got a multimeter with a type K thermocouple that I can jam straight into the dipstick hole and into the oil the second that I turn it off.

I've taken temperature readings with infrared thermometers on air cooled engines. Can't recall the exact temperatures, but it was definitely in the mid to high 200s to low 300s deg. F.

Please read quote from link below:

http://www.aircooled.net/synthetic-vw-oil/

Advantages to Running Synthetic Oil in Aircooled Engines:

A lot of people ask “What’s the point of running synthetic oil, if you can’t change it less often?” Here’s the answer in a nutshell.

Since synthetic oil has better heat transfer qualities than dino oil, your internal engine temperatures will be lower. Things like bearings, especially, will not operate at as high of a temperature as a result. The wider range of temperatures that synthetic oil can withstand is well suited for the air-cooled VW engine. With head temperatures normally between 300-350 degrees, synthetic will not breakdown while lubricating the valve train components at the heads. The better lubricating properties of synthetic in general will lead to a longer engine life as well. On average, when synthetic oil is run in an air-cooled VW engine, head temperatures stay the same, but engine oil temps reduce by anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees. This is in identical engines that have all the correct cooling tin in place, and are not suffering from overheating to begin with. Important note: Do not run synthetic to fix a hot running engine. Find the real reason it’s running hot, and fix it!

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
"5w20 synthetic is fine for snow blowers. Just watch that oil level like a hawk."

+1

Anyone here have a laser temp guage? I'd like to know how hot a snowblower's engine actually gets after it has been run at full throttle for, say, 30 minutes in 20-25F degree weather.

will do might be a bit snow not going to fly for a few weeks 2 year old 13hp brigs filled with Amsoil HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back