Converting to Fram Synthetic Filter & Penzoil Plat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of Converting to Fram Synthetic Filters & Penzoil Platinum Oil in both our '14 Mustang & '11 Ram 1500

Went to Wally-World & got a XG2 Fram Synthetic oil filter for $8.97 along with 5 quart bottle of Pennzoil Platinum for $22.66. for the Rams next oil change.
I'm going to change it @ 10 month OCI because of Low miles & Synthetic oil.

Got a Fram XG10575 synthetic filter for the 'Stang while I was there, I think for the next oil change @ 6 months due to low miles & Sys-blend oil I may go with Fords Fast LANE OIL CHANGE , since it's still under the factory warranty !!

I was using K&N oil filters, I liked the 1" nut & quality, but the last few I've gotten are foreign made.. I can't justify supporting companies that outsource our jobs to other countries...

[Job Creators, they create jobs in other countries @ the expense of lost jobs in the U.S.A.]
{Can't Live with it,,, Just Can't do it}
}

Isn't Pennzoil's parent company Royal Dutch Shell? Valvoline and others are solely U.S. owned. Just saying.

Pennzoil & Quaker State each ran their companies kind of into the ground, then merged, then went further downhill. For example, Quaker State bought out Slick50 in 1996 and sold its last refineries in 1997 (rather than investing in modernizing them).

Shell owns what was left of the merged Quaker State - Pennzoil company (since 2002), including the product names & trademarks.

It's easier to find the Quaker State historical milestones these days than the Pennzoil milestones.

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/history

There is no way for a retail customer to effectively determine the country of origin of most petroleum products these days, and we still import a lot of crude oil. That's why most motor oil labels now say something about containing domestic and imported components.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
why not buy oem maybe not the best at filtering all the time but you will have flow and they work well

Do you use strictly oem oil filters in your vehicles and business?

If not, why not?

I second the vote on the two 5 qt. jugs, there's a $0.50 / gallon Shell gasoline discount per jug on top of the MIR of $10 / jug. But you need to use the same receipt for both offers.

http://www.pennzoil.com/promotions/

Upload a *.jpg digital copy of your receipt for the gasoline discount first, then either upload or use snail mail to get the $10 / jug rebate.

we use motorcraft on fords and sometimes other oem but for the most part we use a jobber filter in most.

I like oem on most of mine because i like flow and generally most oem filters flow best because everyone knows dirty oil filters much better than none at all.

We used group 7 and classics for years which is a purolater but since purolater went down hill with all the wavy media and tears we switched.
Sometimes we use oem because for a couple of dollars more they look
really nice on a newly rebuilt engine. Since we changed we tried a couple of filter brands and like the pro tech so far

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Pennzoil & Quaker State each ran their companies kind of into the ground, then merged, then went further downhill. For example, Quaker State bought out Slick50 in 1996 and sold its last refineries in 1997 (rather than investing in modernizing them).

Shell owns what was left of the merged Quaker State - Pennzoil company (since 2002), including the product names & trademarks.

It's easier to find the Quaker State historical milestones these days than the Pennzoil milestones.

There is no way for a retail customer to effectively determine the country of origin of most petroleum products these days, and we still import a lot of crude oil. That's why most motor oil labels now say something about containing domestic and imported components.

Yeah ran into ground with 30% of North America's PCMO market share.
Someone should not fancy themselves as the authority of the lubrication market without stating the facts. Like the shareholders of the Pennzoil/Quaker State company made out pretty well because of the buyout and blenders that are blending that much product could easily out punt their coverage compared to multi-billion dollar conglomerates such as Royal Dutch Shell and XOM that actually produces the additive and base oil packages for lubricants.

I second the vote on the two 5 qt. jugs, there's a $0.50 / gallon Shell gasoline discount per jug on top of the MIR of $10 / jug. But you need to use the same receipt for both offers.

http://www.pennzoil.com/promotions/

Upload a *.jpg digital copy of your receipt for the gasoline discount first, then either upload or use snail mail to get the $10 / jug rebate.

This thread worked fine: Thanks Nyogtha
I used the upload feature, hope it works good!
Always good to know people have your Six covered.
the other rebate [above] from scott was for a Oil Change by a accepted dealer. I had seen that 1 myself & gave up.

Also it's cool we have same taste in auto's !!
My '11 Ram is also a QC with the Hemi & our Pony Premium is also a V-6, I'm ready to start replacing the Shaker door speakers to improve sound now. [hoping for a couple days of 70* weather]

Thanks to all the other guys also for the nice words, I did a lot of research to make my decision, this forum supplied the majority of info !!
I knew Valvoline was aligned with Quaker oil, didn't know about Dutch being the Home company though !!

Glad the info was helpful!

Valvoline is associated with Ashland though, not with Shell.

I worked for Marathon-Ashland for a while when they formed a joint venture and Marathon bought out Ashland's portion of the joint venture. Hence Ashland exited the petroleum refining business 10 or so years ago.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Yeah ran into ground with 30% of North America's PCMO market share.
Someone should not fancy themselves as the authority of the lubrication market without stating the facts. Like the shareholders of the Pennzoil/Quaker State company made out pretty well because of the buyout and blenders that are blending that much product could easily out punt their coverage compared to multi-billion dollar conglomerates such as Royal Dutch Shell and XOM that actually produces the additive and base oil packages for lubricants.
Someone should not fancy themselves an expert in the petroleum refining industry if they aren't.

There isn't anything false in my statements.

Buying Slick50 was far from a great business decision.

Exiting the refining business was obviously unsustainable or they wouldn't have been bought out.

I started working in the petroleum business in 1986.

I worked for a company that produced lubricating oil stocks from specialty grade crudes in addition to a fuels & petrochemicals refinery. Representatives from Quaker State came to our facility but dismissed our business - but that facility still operates today, still going strong.

So tell us exactly what view you had of Quaker States facilities, or Pennzoil's, before they were bought out, and how many years experience you have in producing lubricating oil base stocks?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
we use motorcraft on fords and sometimes other oem but for the most part we use a jobber filter in most.

I like oem on most of mine because i like flow and generally most oem filters flow best because everyone knows dirty oil filters much better than none at all.

We used group 7 and classics for years which is a purolater but since purolater went down hill with all the wavy media and tears we switched.
Sometimes we use oem because for a couple of dollars more they look
really nice on a newly rebuilt engine. Since we changed we tried a couple of filter brands and like the pro tech so far

crazyoildude, your position is very interesting with one foot on each side of the Purolator fence here.

Motorcraft is manufactured by Purolator and 2 of the filter failures tabulated in the Google spreadsheet here are Motorcraft.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...p=sharing#gid=0

Look at rows 35 and 39 in that spreadsheet.

Yet you warn others to stay away from Purolator and Bosch and switched away from Purolator and Group 7 in your business.

Then you avocate buying oem filters like Motorcraft for some perceived flow vs. filtration quality benefit.

Why so serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back