01 taurus wont starter after new battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My taurus with the vulcan has been starting pretty slow/hard and the high beams have been dimming once in a while during driving. Today I stop by autozone since it was on my way and decided to get the battery tested. It tested 80% but below the recommended CCA, so it was deemed needing replaced. Thinking to myself ok, now I can start looking for a new battery. We went to go test the alternator, I went to go start the car and I have lights and power. The car turns over for 1 second then does nothing. No battery clicking or anything. Ok, the car started fine until be load tested the battery. We take the battery out and charge it but it still wouldn't hold the CCA. So they match AAP pricing and coupon so I got a new battery. Put the new battery in, have full power and all dash lights. Go to start it and nothing. Nothing at all.

Was my starter bad all along? I'll have to check the starter relay when i go back after work. Looks like I'm going to be "that person" fixing their car in the autozone parking lot.

Starting to think autozone should have a day where everyone brings their cars to the lot to work on their cars lolz

No shame in doing that..it doesnt start it doesnt..wat can u do.

Last edited:
Here's how to jumper the starter relay. This is on a '97 Taurus.

hot-wire-the-starter.jpg

Yes, it could be the starter. I replaced the starter on my car because of slow cranking with a new battery. IIRC, it has something to do with worn out bearings allowing the armature to start rubbing.

Jumping the relay will prove out the starter wiring. I also had problems with the small solenoid power wire. That is what the relay fires. The monkey proof connector on it would not make contact fully sometimes. I finally cut it off and just used some m/f 1/4" spade connectors.

Vulcan V6 Starters are not there strong suit, check out a video elaborating.
Ford Taurus 3.0L 12v Starter Replacement & Failur…: http://youtu.be/zTEpS8qRIxQ

Have your battery tested. Check all your grounds, and have your starter and charging circuit's tested for free at any auto parts store. Then condemn the starter

Originally Posted By: volk06
My taurus with the vulcan has been starting pretty slow/hard and the high beams have been dimming once in a while during driving.

That's what leads me to suspect there's something wrong with the alternator. Whenever I've had a car with dim headlights while driving, it was because the alternator quit producing current and the battery had to take over for it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the car needed a starter. The oil filter is very close to and above the starter on Vulcans, so the starter gets covered in oil every time the filter comes off. I don't think the Taurus ever came with the funnel that Rangers did to direct oil away from the starter, either that or every single Vulcan Taurus I have changed oil on was missing the funnel. It does help keep the starter clean on Rangers, but many ham-handed people rip it off even though it doesn't make access/removal any easier to do so.

Maybe have the alternator checked again as well (though this isn't causing your no-start). Ford alternators do not like weak batteries and will sometimes go out shortly after having to charge a very weak battery repeatedly.

Put an advanced rebuilt starter on with lifetime warranty for $99. Started better than it ever has since I've owned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back