2014 Camaro for my mom's midlife crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjundi
So you consider a Chevy Impala a muscle car for example with 305HP? The bar has been raised for modern vehicles where 300HP is no longer muscle.

I understand that speed is relative and everything, and that compared to other vehicles 300 hp isn't that much these days.

But in a vacuum, compared to nothing else, that 300 hp will get you down the road in a hurry.

How awesome is it that we're talking about 300+ hp cars like they're boring and mundane?

I'm sure it's plenty quick. My 96' Chevy truck had 250 HP and was pretty darn quick. I'm sure a Camaro which has 73 more HP, weighs 600 pounds less and is more aerodynamic and has a 6 speed is a lot quicker.

Two of my coworkers own new Camaros. One an auto and the other a stick. Both V-6 models. They are geared pretty high and the 300 HP is not going to put your Mother into shock or anything. You should however get her to drive one before she buys one. I for one don't care for them. They are OK but just don't "fit" me. The high body line and low roof make me feel like I'm riding in a coffin.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
A v6 Camaro is not a muscle car but the a decently powered RWD sedan.

I would not worry much. Although visibility is absolutely abhorrent in these and IMHO a factor. My experience comes from an "upgrade" of a rental they first trying extracting $50/day out of me.

My opinion only, but 300+ HP is a muscle car to me. My 250 HP Challenger V-6 will get up and go. It's definitely faster than my V-8 Camaro I had in the 1980s. The visibility is horrible in these, and there is no headroom. GM goofed with the chopped top look (which I don't like anyway). It would have looked better with a higher roof.

So you consider a Chevy Impala a muscle car for example with 305HP? The bar has been raised for modern vehicles where 300HP is no longer muscle.

Pretty much.
http://www.stockmopar.com/aar-cuda.html

I cannot stand the Camero. Sitting in that thing is like driving a submarine and looking out a front porthole, being the roof line is so low. The windshield is about half the height it needs to be.

Maybe your Mom is a petite lady, and if so, it might not be so bad. But for a car its size it is beyond claustrophobic. Shop around!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I cannot stand the Camero. Sitting in that thing is like driving a submarine and looking out a front porthole, being the roof line is so low. The windshield is about half the height it needs to be.

Maybe your Mom is a petite lady, and if so, it might not be so bad. But for a car its size it is beyond claustrophobic. Shop around!

I agree. She is 5ft 7in and skinny she said she fits fine . When I drove one I felt trapped in a coffin . But if she likea them. She has drove a couple now and has her heart set. I mentioned mustang and was promptly shushed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man

I agree. She is 5ft 7in and skinny she said she fits fine . When I drove one I felt trapped in a coffin . But if she likea them. She has drove a couple now and has her heart set. I mentioned mustang and was promptly shushed.

(Ram_Man, this is not directed at you..)
Guys, here we are in 2014 North America, treating a 300+ HP car as usual and bland. it is not even available in other countries or prohibitive because of high gas/gasoline/petrol prices + taxes.
so, Go MOM !!!
(Ram_Man this is directed at you) when you drive it, please don't forget us and give us an update :))

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: ram_man

(Ram_Man, this is not directed at you..)
Guys, here we are in 2014 North America, treating a 300+ HP car as usual and bland. it is not even available in other countries or prohibitive because of high gas/gasoline/petrol prices + taxes.
so, Go MOM !!!
(Ram_Man this is directed at you) when you drive it, please don't forget us and give us an update :))

The issue is that the 300hp is now saddled with 4000+lbs, 10" wide good tires, and enough electronic interference to prevent anything interesting from happening when you suggest with your foot that the ECU to please open the throttle... But not too fast or too much...
sick.gif

The engines now are quite amazing, but they need to be put into something like 1980's, 1990's tech cars to let them give you a scare once in a while.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

I understand that speed is relative and everything, and that compared to other vehicles 300 hp isn't that much these days.

But in a vacuum, compared to nothing else, that 300 hp will get you down the road in a hurry.

How awesome is it that we're talking about 300+ hp cars like they're boring and mundane?

190HP/230 ft/lbs of torque in the 4.0Jeep was a big deal at the time!

The V6 Camaro's are pretty awesome. With 2 guys(480lbs) in it, traction control off, stomped it from idle....10' spinning both rear tires....7000RPM, 2nd gear spin tires....7000RPM, 3rd gear scratch....7000RPM,4th gear....7000RPM, 5th gear. I looked at my brother-in-law and asked "for real, a V6?" "Yep" I had to look to make sure. I'll say this, a V6 auto/manual Camaro would be hard to beat in most street drag races, and probably pretty consistent on a strip.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The issue is that the 300hp is now saddled with 4000+lbs, 10" wide good tires, and enough electronic interference to prevent anything interesting from happening when you suggest with your foot that the ECU to please open the throttle... But not too fast or too much...
sick.gif

The engines now are quite amazing, but they need to be put into something like 1980's, 1990's tech cars to let them give you a scare once in a while.

Sure, but my 3500 lb sedan being pushed by a 268 hp engine can keep up with most cars from the '80's that were considered fast, to include high end sports cars, and quite a few fast cars from the '90's.

Cars may have gained weight, but they've gotten really fast in spite of that.

MT is the ONLY way to go. No need to expand the number of slushboxes.

A modern V6 is at least as potent as a siilar V8 from a number of years back. I mean, just look at the specs and the 0-60 times. Sure, there have been cars much faster, and the latest v8 cars are pretty amazing. But what was considered fast and powerful is more than trumped by a modern V6 in one of these cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back