AC Delco PF1218 Filter - Not Correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am new to this forum and have discussed this issue over in the diesel forum. A member from there suggested I post it here for awareness and discussion. Here is the information:

I always used Fram filters but have been seeing more people with problems with them so I figured I would switch to AC Delco filters. I buy the filters from Amazon and here is my experience to share:

This filter comes in the box and the tag on the filter says PF1218 (GM# 25160561). My application is for a 97 Chevy K2500 with the 6.5L Diesel engine. Once I installed the filter and started the truck I had 0 (zero) oil pressure. Waited a few seconds and still nothing shut off the truck and waited a few minutes - tried again - same result. So I purchased a Fram PH5 which is the replacement for the PF1218, within 3 seconds of running I had oil pressure. I then compared this PF1218 to the PH5 and it is obvious the trouble - it does not have a anti-drain back valve and the supply holes (the ring of holes punched in the filter) was not in the correct place at all. Had I not paid attention I would have ruined this engine that cost over $4,000 to replace. Beware and use caution if the filter you are replacing does not look exactly like the old one - don't use it. I believe someone at GM (AC Delco) is making a mistake and putting the wrong tag on the filter. It is clearly the wrong filter.

Now some will say the difference in the filter is obvious - however I have never used an AC Delco filter before and thought it was just a design change due to the Fram fitting more applications.... WRONG!

I am not sure if I am allowed to link to other pages on this site but will try and am sure I will be told otherwise.

Here is the original discussion post: AC Delco PF1218

And here are the pics if this works:

264553d1413861293t-ac-delco-pf1218-filter-not-correct-pa280724.jpg

264561d1413861293t-ac-delco-pf1218-filter-not-correct-pa280725.jpg

Now I found out that the problem filter I actually got was similar to this one from Champs Lab only badged for AC Delco:

264569d1413862520-ac-delco-pf1218-filter-not-correct-ph1218.jpg

Just thought I would post this up for discussion here. And please understand I am not advocating Fram over AC Delco - - - just trying to provide some information. If I had not paid attention to oil pressure gauge and saw the mistake - chances are I would have ruined an otherwise great 6.5L diesel engine - which as you know is not cheap to replace!

looks like you got a pf1218CL instead of a pf1218?

according to the list both should work but

FILTER ASM,OIL
Part Number: PF1218
Product Notes:
Durapack Engine Oil Filter
w/anti-drain back Valve ; 115mm Long, 1 Per Veh

Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1992-2000

FILTER ASM,OIL (CLASSIC)
Part Number: PF1218FCL
Product Notes:
Classic Design Durapack Engine Oil Filter
Bulk Pkg, Qty 12 ; 130mm Long,FI, 1 Per Veh

Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1992-1998

Last edited:
The PF1218 fits a lot of applications, Including many Big Block & Small Block GM gas engines, I have installed hundreds of them on Gas & Diesel engines with no issue.

You may have got a bad filter, But the difference in the feed holes are not the issue, In fact it is hard to believe the filter could cause a "No Oil Pressure" condition.

The oil filter adaptor has spring loaded bypass built in to it, So even if the filter was blocked somehow, The Bypass would open & the engine would have Oil Pressure.

Unless someone has blocked the Bypass Valve???? If that is the case, A Duramax Filter....PF2232 has a internal Bypass & Filters better.
And still in use on new Duramax Engines.

You are comparing a Champ made ACD ecore construction to classic construction. As mentioned above, ecore uses an auxiliary tapping/base plate to make blind or difficult application locations easier to install, that's how it was marketed. So the adbv would be difficult to see from the base. However, if you were to cut the ecore open I expect you would find the nitrile adbv inside the canister. So it likely is the correctly listed application.

As for the oil pressure issue, no idea of the cause. However based on your anecdote, I would suggest you stick with filters of classic construction. No idea if ACD still makes a classic construction filter in this application, but worth checking. Or use another aftermarket brand using classic construction.

Your filter is not REQUIRED to have an ADBV, due to it's vertically mounted position next to the oil pan, or even a bypass valve due to the one in the block, but an ADBV &bypass isn't a bad idea. Almost sounds like you may have gotten a bad filter, but I wonder if your in-block bypass valve may be stuck shut. Any sign of swelling or "ballooning" in the old filter?

There is certainly no problems with my truck. I removed the AC Delco and replaced it with the Fram and oil pressure came back. And for the record "No" I don't need the ADBV - no one "NEEDS" it. However my truck is 4WD and should have the ADBV as it does mount horizontally not vertically. You can see in the pic that there is a ADBV in the filter below the end plate.... it is just that the end plate is incorrect and was blocking oil flow. If I was to cut that end plate out and reinstall I have no doubt it would work properly. However I am not going to gamble with a 6.5L at stake.

I run the AC-Delco 1218CL on the 454 in my 98 K3500 truck and it has great oil pressure. I also have used the ecore 1218 version in the past with no oil pressure problems.

Wayne

Quote:
.... You can see in the pic that there is a ADBV in the filter below the end plate.... it is just that the end plate is incorrect and was blocking oil flow. If I was to cut that end plate out and reinstall I have no doubt it would work properly...

Apparently upon further inspection you were able to see the adbv on the ecore. However, there is no observable reason the outer auxiliary base plate would restrict oil flow to the inlet holes in the primary baseplate underneath.

I do agree that if the vehicle manufacturer specs an adbv even in vertical thread end up orientation they do so for a reason. Son owns a Chevy Tahoe 5.3L with thread end up orientation and it specs an adbv. Besides holding oil in the filter, with adbv closed (inlet holes sealed), it also helps hold oil in the engine oil galleries with the adbv closed.

While I can't see a specific reason why the ecore didn't work in this case, based on the anecdotal experience with your engine, best to stick with a classic construction filter. Easy enough remedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back