I made the switch to pennzoil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at Pennzoil Platinum at the store the other day and it didn't have the Dexos 1 certification. The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is Dexos 1 rated. I don't know why one would be Dexos 1 certified and not the other one.

According to Pennzoil's website it is.

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/#Specifications

Pennzoil Platinum®
Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus™ Technology

Industry specifications:

API SN, SM, SL and SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Exceeds ILSAC GF-5 engine cleansing and protection requirements
OEM specifications:

Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
Ford WSS-M2C930-A and WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A and WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30)
GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
GM 4718M (Corvette and Cadillac) (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
GM dexos1™ Certification (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)
Honda/Acura HTO-06 (SAE 5W-30)
Specifications may vary by viscosity grade.

I tend to look at (and download & save) the motor oil manufacturer's technical data sheets and use those more than just the label on the bottle, personally.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Did you happen to post that here?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I did a UOA on RP 20W50 and my car sheared it down to a 10W40 weight in only 3000 miles.

Yep,here it is. The 3200 mile oci is Royal Purple 20W50 (the old Synerlec version),and the 3000 mile oci is Mobil 1 10W40 High Mileage. Nissan OEM oil filter on the RP oci and a Fram TG on the M1 oci:

24mweo9.jpg

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I was looking at Pennzoil Platinum at the store the other day and it didn't have the Dexos 1 certification. The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is Dexos 1 rated. I don't know why one would be Dexos 1 certified and not the other one.

Almost all of the Pennzoil semi-syn and synthetic oils (at least in the affected weights where dexos1 is an issue) are certified. Pennzoil was one of the first dexos adopters, but hey have been painfully slow in putting the logo on all their dexos approved products. Valvoline has been on board with dexos since they became the official oil of Hendrick Motorsports (early this year?)and were featured in all his GM dealerships. I haven't seen a Valvoline bottle yet with the logo. Why would anyone pay the fee and then drag their feet on labeling?

Castrol and Mobil on the other hand have had and have gotten labeling up to date better than anyone else. All their products that are affected are and have been labeled clearly in my area for some time.

Last edited:
Dexos1 on the bottle isn't just labeling, it's a GM approval just like MB229 and VW502, no matter the fees or any other dislike of how the process rolled out. It isnt my job as a consumer to assume the oil meets a standard, that's the oil company's job by putting it on the packaging. If not on the jug, it doesn't qualify.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Dexos1 on the bottle isn't just labeling, it's a GM approval just like MB229 and VW502, no matter the fees or any other dislike of how the process rolled out. It isnt my job as a consumer to assume the oil meets a standard, that's the oil company's job by putting it on the packaging. If not on the jug, it doesn't qualify.

your job as a consumer is to ASSURE that the product you buy meets the specification required.

the oil maker can do what they want, it is their business to run. if they wish to ignore the spec and make whatever they want, that's perfectly fine. if they want to make a product that meets the spec but not pay for the license, that's fine too. and if they want to pay for the license and make the right spec, that's just peachy.

what they can't do, is put the label on the bottle without paying for it, or if it doesn't meet the spec.

but, as a consumer, it is your responsibility to make sure you are using the right stuff. if you see the label on the bottle it's safe to assume that it meets the spec; for them to do otherwise would be fraud. but if you don't see the label, i wouldn't assume it makes the grade .... they are free to make whatever they want, whether it makes the spec or not -- they just can't put the label on it if it doesn't.

We're saying the same thing in different ways. My focus was on those bitogers that constantly say, 'it surely meets spec 123. Xyz just didnt wanna pay for the rights to put it on the label'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
No, in other words, a key board warrior claims to know more than the team of engineers who realized this particular engine sheers the living [censored] out of oil.

Even in later applications running the same bottom end, they never specced a 5w30 oil.

So much drama over a ... Suzuki ... lol.

I've never understood why so many here find it necessary to insult another's ride. Not cool at all.
spankme2.gif

Friend of mine blew two engines in his 300ZX twin turbo tracking with M1 5W30.

I don't doubt that at all.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

Almost all of the Pennzoil semi-syn and synthetic oils (at least in the affected weights where dexos1 is an issue) are certified. Pennzoil was one of the first dexos adopters, but hey have been painfully slow in putting the logo on all their dexos approved products. Valvoline has been on board with dexos since they became the official oil of Hendrick Motorsports (early this year?)and were featured in all his GM dealerships. I haven't seen a Valvoline bottle yet with the logo. Why would anyone pay the fee and then drag their feet on labeling?

Castrol and Mobil on the other hand have had and have gotten labeling up to date better than anyone else. All their products that are affected are and have been labeled clearly in my area for some time.

What percent of consumers do you suppose, actually know what Dexos Approved is or means? Of those that have an idea, what percent do you suppose really care? I can see why an oil company may decide that the return on the investment, of paying GM's ridiculous licensing fees, may not be worth it. Instead, they can make a product that meets most all spec's, state that on the data sheets, and know that they are offering a product that will do a great job, without worrying about kissing up to GM.

(No, I'm not fond of GM. Obama should have let them sink. But that's another topic for another day.)

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Friend of mine blew two engines in his 300ZX twin turbo tracking with M1 5W30.

I don't doubt that at all.

I bet your 10w-30 has the same HTHS as M1 5w-30, Merk.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back